The ultimate Daiwa cranking reel

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: The ultimate Daiwa cranking reel

Post by BigG » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:47 am

Well I'll be doggon, I had a bunch of the PT33's. Still have the PT33c, it's in the beloved, but no longer used case. I also started my love for Daiwa reels with these. The PT33c was mounted on a 7' 3" boron elite crankbait stick from Pro Bass. This was at the time when deep crankbaits first took off. I used for about 6 years, and won a few tournys throwing DB 3s. Later I bought a Zillon CC and retired it. I have been thinking about trying the XB10s, I may just have to sent it to Ian. Thanks for the write up Spookybaits.

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:21 pm

Awesome. Glad to see the classics are still capable of competing with today's reels.
A little tuning can go a long way.
BTW, great picts.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm

That's awesome.
I've seen a friends father with an old Abu reel with similar profile. It looked older than even my AMB XLT1 but was super smooth. Turning it over I saw a sticker labelled Jack Erskine's.

Does anyone still own the classic Shimano Bantams? If so how do they perform compared with modern shimanos?

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:58 pm

Love the old school reel with new school parts. Internals look beefy.
Beautiful classics :clap: :clap: :clap:

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:19 am

Thanks for the love guys!
For me, it's like driving old cars. May not be as fast, light, or efficient as new cars, but they have style for miles. And with some performance modding they can hold their own and more.

The next set of reels I hope to send off to Ian are a TD2hi & TD2pi, my 2nd all time favorite Daiwa reels. These make killer low profile swimbait reels.
I also have a nib old Lews bb-1mb, the bb-1 with magforce, that I've been flirting with the idea of tuning. But I'm already up to my ears in low speed cranking reels atm.

Also- I just weighed the spool of the PT33c(parts reel)- 29 grams!!! :shock: :lol: The inductor is as thick as a penny and looks like it's made of stainless steel lol

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:48 am

Great write up,thanks =D>
Back in the day I had one of the high speed models,unheard of back then :shock:
I currently have a low speed model in my tackle locker,still have fond memories.
For me not having any infinite anti reverse is the deal breaker.For your cranking applications its no biggie at all.
Regardless,great reel =D>
The TD-Hi however levels the playing field.Look forward to your pimped offering [-o<

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:44 am

Awesome write up Spooky, takin it back to the old school. Very nice mods. =D>

soulfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by soulfisher » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:05 pm

I can still remember the day I saved enough money for this high end 5 ball bearing reel (so to speak) and purchased at kmart in 1989. Been in love with Daiwa ever since. I have probably a dozen or so PT33's between the 3 models and plan on talking to ian about doing some up.

Great work and thanks for sharing what you had done to this classic!

pobigred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: The tank

Post by pobigred » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:57 pm

spookybaits wrote:*a little back story (feel free to skip down to photos).

Alot of reels have come & gone over the years, But my favorite design of all time is the old Daiwa procasters. They made a few different lines using this body. The last series (and best imo) is the procaster tournament 33 series (PT33). Daiwa made a PT33p(pitching 5:1), a PT33sh (super hi speed 7:1) and the PT33c (super hi power cranking 3.8:1).
These reels were little tanks. They were big by today's standards, heavy, boxy, squared off design that actually resembles a tank. And to my eyes they're absolutely beautiful

About 4 years ago after reading TT threads for some time, i got the idea to trick these out and bring em up to date with various mods & upgrades. I found a reel tuner(he's not one of the TT locals, but i wont mention his name) & sent him a nib PT33c & PR. When i got the reels back they didn't cast for sh#t, and full of metal dust/shavings. It felt like sand when you cranked the handle. So those reels became parts reels. Awesome. :doh:

Fast forward to last winter, i was talking to Patrick(pobigred) on the phone about tuning reels. Told him about my experience with tuning, and he gave me e_bassfisher's contact info and guaranteed me he's the best guy for the job.
I sent ian an email & he called me the next day to talk about the reels. He said not only could he do em up, but that he was excited to crack those old reels open and see what he could do to em.

What he send back was an absolute work of art. :hugs:
He:
- Upgraded all bearings to abec 7 ceramics.
- Re-did the drag system with carbonex.
- Completely dissembled, cleaned all parts, full lube everything.
- Full supertuning, polished internals & spool.
- Retrofited a pixy drag star with a series of oddball washers to allow for swept handle!
- The pt33c got a 100mm rcs swept cf handle, the pt33sh got a 90mm zillion type-R cf handle. (2 bb per knob, both handles).
- And probably some other things i forgot or don't know about.

I spooled it with 12lb sufix mono, strapped it on a deep cranking rod, tied a dd22 on and took it to the lake for a spin. I set the magforce to 5 and let that dd22 rip. Holy sh*t can that thing cast! It just went & went & went.

When i turned the handle & started retrieving I felt nothing. Zero resistance from the DD22. :shock: Like i had broke off and was just reeling slack line back. It wasn't until the lure made contact with the bottom that I realized it was still there.
I don't know what exactly Ian did to make it so smooth, but it felt like the gears were made of ice. Smoother than my calais's & chronarch D's.
The smoothness, combined with the brute power of the big 3.8:1 gears... It's a beast.
It punks my Daiwa Z200.
It thinks the crazy cranker's 4.9:1 gears are 'cute'.
It's main gear weighs almost a half ounce.
It makes no apologies for it's boxy, square ergonomics.
It is- THE ULTIMATE DAIWA CRANKING REEL!

Now for some pics-
Well dang. Glad that recommendation worked out for you. I have a very short but somewhat similar story. I think it was one of my ITO's that Ian tuned. Anyway I was pre-fishing for a tournament with my partner as was throwing a 1/2oz spinnerbait with large enough blades that it would create a definite bend in the rod, when ALL OF A SUDDEN I realized that I was turning the handle but hardly realized that I was actually retrieving a bait at all. It was like...........dah..........what is going on here. I knew Ian was good, but it was THAT day and THAT moment that sent me over the top on what he does. Just amazing.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:21 am

L O V E I T ! ! !

I always wanted a PT series, but could not afford them as I was just a pre-teen at the time...hmmm, looks like it is time to re-visit.

BTW, is it possible to find the "P" gears/pinion for a PT33C?

Also, which gear ratio is best for slow-rolling 1oz spinnerbaits? ;)

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:36 am

spookybaits wrote:Thanks for the love guys!
For me, it's like driving old cars. May not be as fast, light, or efficient as new cars, but they have style for miles. And with some performance modding they can hold their own and more.

The next set of reels I hope to send off to Ian are a TD2hi & TD2pi, my 2nd all time favorite Daiwa reels. These make killer low profile swimbait reels.
I also have a nib old Lews bb-1mb, the bb-1 with magforce, that I've been flirting with the idea of tuning. But I'm already up to my ears in low speed cranking reels atm.

Also- I just weighed the spool of the PT33c(parts reel)- 29 grams!!! :shock: :lol: The inductor is as thick as a penny and looks like it's made of stainless steel lol
Would that make it better for larger baits (1 oz+) since it has more momentum?
Last edited by Afrayedknot on Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:21 am

Man, those were sure fun to work on! I really learned a lot about those great old machines! And thanks so much for the kind words sir. It was a pleasure doing business with you!

And thank you Patrick! Always a pleasure sir

:)

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:46 am

Hmmm....IPT is apparently ~ 18". That is still a little faster than the CL 200 APV, and would help slow down a hyper cranker like me in the cold water period for sure! :lol:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:18 pm

I have a NIB to Ian for a super-tune as well! Thanks for this great idea man!

BTW, here is a kool link to some classic PTs viewtopic.php?f=47&t=42460&sid=56151f3b ... 9f3d87ee15

FWIW...I am working on a PT 33P or two as well a PT 33SH. I really love some of the older and "outdated" gear...especially when someone like Ian can tune it to out perform today's "modern" reels! :evil22:

Here is a little on-the-water time I have had with my stock PT 33SH so far this year.http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... 56#p442256

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:44 pm

Just got here today...fresh from Ian. Can't wait to slow-roll some 3/4 - 1oz spinnerbaits with it this Sunday!