Best flipping jigs

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Best flipping jigs

Post by JerryC » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:25 am

So i finally have my flipping game down pat now that I have a boat.. from a kayak it can only be done standing up. I was looking at the revenge flipping jigs and was wondering what weight suggestion you guys had for me? I feel like i shouldnt be throwing anything under 1/2 oz weight... let me know!

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Best flipping jigs

Post by JerryC » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:37 am

Anyone?

SaltyBass
Angler
Angler

Post by SaltyBass » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:38 am

I fish with some guys who will throw a 1/4oz jig on braid and a spinning setup in flipping situations. Sometimes they want something smaller/slower drop like that. Other times they want a full ounce whizzing by their face (even in shallow water). 1/2oz is the right starting point though...I'd suggest you not go too crazy with colors. Get something pumpkin, and something blue/black, just go to town and try to build confidence.

pharmboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by pharmboy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:01 am

My new favorite are the ecopro lintner 3/8 or 1/2 oz in the perfection color

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:47 am

either the Omega Pro Mega jigs or their flipping jigs...
Excellent around cover and for skipping docks!

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:22 am

I use arkey jigs from serbert. 1/4 to 1/2 with going heavier as the season goes on.

G3Steve
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by G3Steve » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:54 pm

Siebert makes my favorite jigs. Well made, last long. Great customer service too.

http://siebertoutdoors.com/

Spot King
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Spot King » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:08 pm

JerryC wrote: I feel like i shouldnt be throwing anything under 1/2 oz weight... let me know!
Use whatever weight will get down through the cover and to the fish. Most important thing. Sometimes a heavier jig will get more bites, because of the fast drop, but in general, if a lighter jig will get down; use it. Also, if it's windy, go to a heavier jig; so it's easier to place the bait where you want to. I'll use anything from a 3/8 oz to a 1 1/2 oz; depending on the cover.

8-)

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:35 am

Spot King wrote:
JerryC wrote: I feel like i shouldnt be throwing anything under 1/2 oz weight... let me know!
Use whatever weight will get down through the cover and to the fish. Most important thing. Sometimes a heavier jig will get more bites, because of the fast drop, but in general, if a lighter jig will get down; use it. Also, if it's windy, go to a heavier jig; so it's easier to place the bait where you want to. I'll use anything from a 3/8 oz to a 1 1/2 oz; depending on the cover.

8-)
Thanks, we dont get too much matted veg in jersey, so usually a 1/2oz jig to 3/4th is the max i would use.. thanks

SneakySnook
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SneakySnook » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:57 am

I use the Dirty Jigs Tour Level No-Jack Flipping jigs. They work great down here in Florida. If fishing around boat docks go with a 1/2oz and a netbait paca chunk or a baby brush hog for a trailer. Around grass go with a 3/4oz and a strike king rage tail shellcracker for a trailer. Just make sure you separate the tail part.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:57 pm

Jerry, you ever end up buying any of the Revenge jigs? If so you liking them? Ive been using them for some time now and they are one of my favorites. Awesome colors in basically anything you could want and a solid hook that does the job. They seem to never get hung up around very heavy wood on our rivers, and we have a ton of it from all the hurricanes. Pretty much only use 1/2oz with a few 3/8 and 3/4 thrown in the mix and they all work great. The All Terrain Tackle Rattling AT jig is another good one to try, pretty cheap cost wise with good performance.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:13 am

I have been using Skinny Bear Griz and also Krypton jigs I hope I am spelling the name correctly
For me these two are the best so far.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:43 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:Jerry, you ever end up buying any of the Revenge jigs? If so you liking them? Ive been using them for some time now and they are one of my favorites. Awesome colors in basically anything you could want and a solid hook that does the job. They seem to never get hung up around very heavy wood on our rivers, and we have a ton of it from all the hurricanes. Pretty much only use 1/2oz with a few 3/8 and 3/4 thrown in the mix and they all work great. The All Terrain Tackle Rattling AT jig is another good one to try, pretty cheap cost wise with good performance.
Yes i have and they are great!