Lifetime Warranty on Reels?

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
j_clouse
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Lifetime Warranty on Reels?

Post by j_clouse » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:31 pm

What companies carry a lifetime warranty on thier reels? Should this be an important factor in my decision on choosing a new reel or am I asking to much out of a reel and it's manufacturer?

Gideon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Lifetime Warranty on Reels?

Post by Gideon » Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:00 pm

Hi J,

Definatelya must have for a fly reel. These reels are so simple that sometimes we forget that things can go wromg. There are so many fly reel manufacturers out there that provide a lifetime warranty it doesn't make sense to go for onew ith a 1 year anymore. I fish with both Galvan and Bauer reels. The Bauer has a cork drag, and while it feels great most of the time I did forget to oil it over a long extended trip and bits of cork began coming off and the drag just felt grainy...Bauer had it back to me in just over a week and it was as good as new.

If you spend 250-350 for a decent fly reel, make sure it comes with a lifetime warrantee

Brookie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Brookie » Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:12 am

j_clouse wrote:What companies carry a lifetime warranty on thier reels? Should this be an important factor in my decision on choosing a new reel or am I asking to much out of a reel and it's manufacturer?
I believe most of the fly reel companies carry a lifetime warranty. I know that Bauer, Galvan, Lamson, Redington, Ross, and even the low end Loomis and St. Croix reels have them. So I wouldn't say that's an important factor you have to consider.
Look at other things that make this simple reel more functional such as
drag, start up inertia, etc.
Some reels aren't perfectly round either. And when retrieving
you will notice the spool rubs against the main frame. This is not
acceptable. what are you looking at?

Brookie

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Reno Reeler » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:03 pm

I believe Ross reels and Van Staal reels have a lifetime warranty.

corbin
Angler
Angler

Post by corbin » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:18 pm

Check out Galvan and JRyall, 2 of the best lifetime waranteed reels under 400 bucks.

Buzz
TT Staff Angler
TT Staff Angler

Post by Buzz » Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:31 pm

I have sent back reels to Ross and Bauer that have malfunctioned and they were fixed and sent back to me for free.

Companies are usually really good about fixing products that break for free under normal wear and tear.