Best Value for Sunglasses?

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Best Value for Sunglasses?

Post by BucketHunter » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:34 am

So I've misplaced my beloved Smith's, and I need a new pair of something or others. The great part about the smiths is that I got then at 50% off so I really don't want to spend 200 to replace them.
Any thoughts? Just freshwater fishing, lots around weeds, but rock and timber in all depths as well. Everything from gin clear to muddy water, although mostly in a typical green to blue tinge. No really rusty waters here.

Heronimo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Best Value for Sunglasses?

Post by Heronimo » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:27 pm

check out fishgillz on amazon. I bought a pair in the teens and they're terrific. They also float if they fall in the water.

Inspectorlee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Inspectorlee » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:54 pm

If you like the style and materials, look at the Strike King sunglasses. I bought a pair of their new line, the S11 Optics (advertised as having 11 layers of material in the lenses) earlier this Spring and they've held up pretty well. Pricewise, it was around $40, so if they got lost, damage, etc I wouldn't be out too much. There is a good variety of frame styles and lenses color as well. I know they're not quite the same as the Smith's you had, but I did find them very useful and effective for my needs, especially as most of the waters I fish have a slight green or brown tinge to them due to the amount of tannins from the leaf litter in them.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:10 am

I found my Smiths WOOOOOOHOOOOOO

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:02 pm

I just picked up a set of the premium 3m safety glasses and there great

Lexy 123
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lexy 123 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:08 am

I have tried many brands of sunglasses but for the last 3 years I stick with Mauii Jim.
They have top notched customer service (already replace one pair for me for free) and very nice glass.
I like Costa too but their frame does not fit me well.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:25 am

Strike king is an option

basskeeter1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by basskeeter1 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:04 am

fishingandfords wrote:Strike king is an option
Can't go wrong with spending only $15. :doh:

johnnybassboat
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnnybassboat » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:52 am

Inspectorlee wrote:If you like the style and materials, look at the Strike King sunglasses. I bought a pair of their new line, the S11 Optics (advertised as having 11 layers of material in the lenses) earlier this Spring and they've held up pretty well. Pricewise, it was around $40, so if they got lost, damage, etc I wouldn't be out too much. There is a good variety of frame styles and lenses color as well. I know they're not quite the same as the Smith's you had, but I did find them very useful and effective for my needs, especially as most of the waters I fish have a slight green or brown tinge to them due to the amount of tannins from the leaf litter in them.
Yup they have these at walmart here for about $30. they have only two styles in stock but imho not bad for the price. I have a pair of costa harpoons in the 580 glass lenses and they are hands down the best glasses I have even had, but at $250 they aint what most people call a best value. That was my wifes opinion until we were in Florida last year and she tried them on and I couldnt get them back SO she got a pair too. Problem solved. 8-)

aprestonSEK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by aprestonSEK » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:03 pm

Wiley X's with emerald lenses

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by H8R » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:01 pm

I wear Costas and I forgot them at home one day... I went to walmart and got some Strike King S11's and they're outstanding glasses and actually wear them pretty often ! Can't go wrong!

FrankW
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankW » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:27 pm

aprestonSEK wrote:Wiley X's with emerald lenses
Wiley X is the best buy for a quality pair.

Frank

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:31 pm

The academy polarized glasses are pretty nice but I don't have much to compare them to.

Handler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Handler » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:20 am

If you like Smiths, Suncloud is made by them and uses similar lens. The sales rep at Eddie Bauer said they are the same, so take that with a grain of salt. Whats nice about the Sunclouds is that they sell for about $50 retail.

I have two pairs of $50 Suncloud's and $300 pair of Maui Jim's and Suncloud's preform just as well.