your fastest reel?

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
Crankbaitmaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: your fastest reel?

Post by Crankbaitmaker » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:51 am

The spool was the problem with the eon. I had one and loved the reel. The drag stack was really good but a real bear to tear down and service. Many reel service places would not work on them. However, I enjoyed it. The spool weighed tons. You could cast a mile with it but if you balled it you were almost guaranteed that you were going to be cutting your line out. If they had just put the right kind of spool in it. That reel was ahead of its time as far as the engineering goes. If they brought that reel back with a light spool I would buy one.

Crankbaitmaker

deepblack
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by deepblack » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:11 am

I had a Calcutta 50 XT, Still do actually, for its' era it would cast rings around anything else until I caught a couple of 15kg tuna on it. (Yeah, I know don't beat me over the head with it.) :oops: I think I bent the spool shaft but up until that point it was awesome. These days as I fish saltwater it's all about the Type R Alphas' awesome reel will outcast almost any thing that's truly saltwater capable.
Cheers,
John.

skinhead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skinhead » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:56 am

fishingandfords wrote:How much was it?
When I bought it I think I paid around £200 GBP, retail on this side of the pond was around £325, but a buddy owned a tackle store, so I saved a bit ;) .

mikezho
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mikezho » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:08 pm

that is a very nice brown trout!
skinhead wrote:Has to be my Shimano Core 51Mg7 with a Yumeya BFS Ultralight Mg alloy spool and Boca abec7 ceramic berings. The only other that comes close is my ABU Eon Pro, incredibly fast but hell to control.

Megabassjohn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Megabassjohn » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:19 pm

It might be my HLC with zpi 9 s , if it not the fastest, it's the one u better watch on ever cast . :D

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:41 pm

fishingandfords wrote:I have a right handed eon that my body wanted me to sell because its right handed and he uses left handed reels, I've never see a reel free spool for this long and it casted right can be spooled with ease , I tried to find info on it but had little luck
I just finished an article on the EON for the Old Reel Collectors Association magazine. There is quite a bit of information available, but what are you trying to find out? Maybe I can answer your questions, or supply needed information. I have three of them, including the low profile, but do not have the "Pro" or Japanese version. I'm surprised at the number of people here that apparently still own EONs. Incidentally, the same spool was in the ABU Torno, and it would spin for over a minute too. It was also a flop for ABU. Both reels probably died more due to looks than ability. The EON received a lot of bad press on message boards and that also helped to its demise.

If you can spool it, you're not filling the spool. It holds over 100 yards of line.

skinhead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skinhead » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:19 am

Reel Old Geezer wrote:
fishingandfords wrote:I have a right handed eon that my body wanted me to sell because its right handed and he uses left handed reels, I've never see a reel free spool for this long and it casted right can be spooled with ease , I tried to find info on it but had little luck
I just finished an article on the EON for the Old Reel Collectors Association magazine. There is quite a bit of information available, but what are you trying to find out? Maybe I can answer your questions, or supply needed information. I have three of them, including the low profile, but do not have the "Pro" or Japanese version. I'm surprised at the number of people here that apparently still own EONs. Incidentally, the same spool was in the ABU Torno, and it would spin for over a minute too. It was also a flop for ABU. Both reels probably died more due to looks than ability. The EON received a lot of bad press on message boards and that also helped to its demise.

If you can spool it, you're not filling the spool. It holds over 100 yards of line.
X2. I've just re-filled mine with 100yds of 9.2lb flourocarbon, and this hasn't totally filled the spool. I don't think I've ever emptied a spool either on the cast, or with a running fish.

SmallieSmasher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SmallieSmasher » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:08 am

Since the topic of this thread is gear ratios, I have a jig rod and was wondering what gear ratio would be best. Some like having super fast gear ratios, I just don't know. Any help would be awesome. Currently I'm thinking a 7.1 Gear Ratio.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:59 am

SmallieSmasher wrote:Since the topic of this thread is gear ratios, I have a jig rod and was wondering what gear ratio would be best. Some like having super fast gear ratios, I just don't know. Any help would be awesome. Currently I'm thinking a 7.1 Gear Ratio.
all my jig and t-rig rods have 7 gear ration reels you want the quick line pick up

SmallieSmasher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SmallieSmasher » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:23 pm

fishingandfords wrote:
SmallieSmasher wrote:Since the topic of this thread is gear ratios, I have a jig rod and was wondering what gear ratio would be best. Some like having super fast gear ratios, I just don't know. Any help would be awesome. Currently I'm thinking a 7.1 Gear Ratio.
all my jig and t-rig rods have 7 gear ration reels you want the quick line pick up
That's what I thought, I needed that extra assurance. Now to shop...

farmin542
Angler
Angler

Post by farmin542 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:04 pm

Mine is hands down a tuned up TDZ-103 R+. I have it spooled up with 30# braid on a Steez 7' mh fast and keep a Sammy tied on it at all times. If schoolies come up chasing shad its the first thing I reach for.