your fastest reel?

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

your fastest reel?

Post by triple_illusion » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:53 pm

i have a chronarch super free 100, it was my first serious baitcasting reel i ever owned. prior to that i had a daiwa jupiter z spinning reel mounted on a daiwa light and tough rod. i also had the old white daiwa baitcaster, i forget the name lol, mounted on a daiwa light and tough bc rod.

i don't know if this rings true for anyone else, but my oldest bc reel my sf chrony (on top of already being a legendary performer) free spools like no other. i believe this is due to sheer wear and tear. it has by far the most usage in my collection. the bearings are worn in so well, they just cant wait to spin! it has a calais handle whose knobs rival the free spool of many reels!

what reel(s) do you own that have been broken in to the point of feeling super tuned?

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: your fastest reel?

Post by fishingandfords » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:59 pm

I was going to say the reel I had in the back seat of my mustang going 120 but that's a different kind of fast

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bass Junkie » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:19 pm

I have a Quantum Shaw Grigsby Signature series Accurist ( The only Quantum I still own, and for good reason) that out free-spools every other reel I own. And, it's a solid-shaft spool design :shock: I believe it is due to the same reasons cited earlier, as well as a heavy spool weight. I have actually effectively fished a weightless 3" Dinger on it, and that really blew my mind at the time.

Crankbaitmaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crankbaitmaker » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:41 am

I bought this reel in February of 2003. It has ZPI SIC bearings in it. Not much can touch it.
Lord knows how many crankbaits it has thrown. I have been in love with this reel since the day I bought it. I have never gotten tired of throwing it. I have two others. But this was my first. Some of the best money I have ever spent.
Scorp 2.jpg
Scorpion 1000
Scorp 2.jpg (39.48 KiB) Viewed 7068 times
Crankbaitmaker

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:22 pm

Stock would be my TDX HSDF...as fast or faster than a LOT of more expensive reels I have ever owned from Abu, Daiwa or Shimano.

Scorpion 1000, my first JDM, was also one of the fastest spools stock...I never got to wearing it in properly though before selling it. ](*,)

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:14 pm

:whistle:

skinhead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skinhead » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:53 am

Has to be my Shimano Core 51Mg7 with a Yumeya BFS Ultralight Mg alloy spool and Boca abec7 ceramic berings. The only other that comes close is my ABU Eon Pro, incredibly fast but hell to control.

triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by triple_illusion » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:37 am

beautiful! keep em comin!

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:42 am

My first Sol with ZPI bearing in it. Nothing I own can touch it.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:18 am

skinhead wrote:Has to be my Shimano Core 51Mg7 with a Yumeya BFS Ultralight Mg alloy spool and Boca abec7 ceramic berings. The only other that comes close is my ABU Eon Pro, incredibly fast but hell to control.

Planetary gearing with IVCB, IIRC? Kool reel, but the heavy plastic look and weird design/aesthetics of this reel never really caught on...not to mention the very high initial/original MSRP on it.

skinhead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skinhead » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:34 am

dragon1 wrote:
skinhead wrote:Has to be my Shimano Core 51Mg7 with a Yumeya BFS Ultralight Mg alloy spool and Boca abec7 ceramic berings. The only other that comes close is my ABU Eon Pro, incredibly fast but hell to control.

Planetary gearing with IVCB, IIRC? Kool reel, but the heavy plastic look and weird design/aesthetics of this reel never really caught on...not to mention the very high initial/original MSRP on it.
Luckily I picked it up at a good price, a friend owned a tackle store ;) . It started life with a rubbersied finish in part, for some reason it didn't wear too well so I polished it off. I ended up with a finish that I actually prefer.

I'm going to re-load with mono and test it out on my UL Major Craft Volkey. I've never tried it with 2g - 7g lures, maybe it'll shine.......or more likely explode into a mahoooosive overrun :lol: .

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:40 am

My understanding is that the Eon Pro, when you get it dialed in, is a great caster. Never fished one personally, but the innovation of this reel is indeed intriguing.

Thanks for sharing.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:24 am

I have a right handed eon that my body wanted me to sell because its right handed and he uses left handed reels, I've never see a reel free spool for this long and it casted right can be spooled with ease , I tried to find info on it but had little luck

skinhead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skinhead » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:39 am

fishingandfords wrote:I have a right handed eon that my body wanted me to sell because its right handed and he uses left handed reels, I've never see a reel free spool for this long and it casted right can be spooled with ease , I tried to find info on it but had little luck
When I first got mine I backed the cast control off and disengaged all brakes, free spool was 1min 48sec :shock: :shock: . I've never seen anything like it. If only casting with it was as easy :roll: . In time, I might treat it to some ceramic bearings, and a new ultralight spool, if I can find one. Are they even available :?: . First though, I have 2 ultralight custom sticks currently at my builders :big grin: .

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:00 pm

How much was it?