Trailer for Chatterbait?

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
rangerjoe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Trailer for Chatterbait?

Post by rangerjoe » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:31 am

What is everyone using for trailers on their chatterbaits? I have just been using the factory ones, but bought some bladed swim jigs from Flatland Tackle and they do not include trailers.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Trailer for Chatterbait?

Post by JerryC » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:52 am

Fat impacts have been working great for me.. anything with good action will work.

SteveDB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SteveDB » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:54 pm

I use RI Little Dippers, Skinny Dippers and various craws depending on the look I want.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:52 am

Mix it up. The 4" Ringworm is my #1 choice, followed by the little dipper. Change the skirt color, blade color, and trailers to go back through areas that you have already fished and you will catch more fish. Fish often react to the vibration first, and then see a new look and eat it.This has accounted for a lot of 22-30lb. bags for me.

rangerjoe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rangerjoe » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:26 am

Thanks to everyone for their input. I have a ton of 4 inch ring worms and normally use a Zoom Speed Craw on my swim jigs, but never thought to use them on a Chatterbait.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:22 pm

4" grubs work well, you just need to use a drop of superglue.

trav
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by trav » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:43 pm

4 inch Rage Tail Craw in white, hang on lol

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:26 pm

Last year I started putting RI Sweet Beaver on some of mine. Makes the bait quite a bit heavier and fattens the profile.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:38 pm

River Rock Baits 4" Jointed Jerkbait, it is a fluke type bait and is just tremendous on the back of a chatterbait.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:47 pm

smalljaw wrote:River Rock Baits 4" Jointed Jerkbait, it is a fluke type bait and is just tremendous on the back of a chatterbait.
Do you remove the skirt when fishing it?

Triton21x MD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Triton21x MD » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:10 pm

I throw swimmin flukes on my chatterbaits.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:21 am

njbasscat wrote:
smalljaw wrote:River Rock Baits 4" Jointed Jerkbait, it is a fluke type bait and is just tremendous on the back of a chatterbait.
No, I leave the skirt on but I do shorten it a bit. I make my own chatterbaits so it is easy to get them how I want with skirt length so I don't have to modify even though it is a simple thing just cutting skirts down. I like and use it like a swim jig and I'm surprised at the number of smaller fish that grab it with the skirt.

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:07 am

impacts both fat and skinny :idea:

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:43 pm

smalljaw wrote:
njbasscat wrote:
No, I leave the skirt on but I do shorten it a bit. I make my own chatterbaits so it is easy to get them how I want with skirt length so I don't have to modify even though it is a simple thing just cutting skirts down. I like and use it like a swim jig and I'm surprised at the number of smaller fish that grab it with the skirt.
I have used a fluke as a trailer and remove the skirt. It works quite well at times, especially in very shallow water.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:56 pm

njbasscat wrote:
smalljaw wrote:
njbasscat wrote:
I have used a fluke as a trailer and remove the skirt. It works quite well at times, especially in very shallow water.
I do the same thing only not with a chatterbait but instead a scrounger, the chatterbait I feel moves a lot and benfits from the skirt action and if the fish are wanting a smaller profile, rather than remove the skirt I just fish the jointed jerkbait behind a scrounger and it works really well similar to the fluke.