Cast resin lures

Can't find what you're looking for in a catalog or in the store shelves? Ever think about just making it yourself? Come share your inspirations and creations with fellow tinkerers in TackleTour's Garage Baits forum!
skinhead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Cast resin lures

Post by skinhead » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:09 am

Just started trying to cast resin lures. Not as easy as I thought. Made the molds without too much trouble, except for my 1st attempt vulcanising as I was pouring the RTV silicon. Second time around and I'd made a 1pc and a 2pc mold. Starting with the 1pc mold the resin pouring went fine, gave the lure overnight before de-molding. A lesson here was give the lure a couple of days to loose tackiness. Next was drilling for the line tie and hook hangers. First go and the drill bit snapped inside the lure :x . So, cast another and and one from the 2pc mold. After trial and error using the first wrecked lure, found that slowly drilling maybe 1/8" and withdrawing the drill, cleaning it,and then going back in another 1/8" and repeating worked. Drilled all necessary holes in both of the fresh lures. Next job was screwing in the hangers etc. Easy, or so I thought. Mixed up some Z-Poxy, added to holes and a smear on the eyes. First eye going in and there's a crack, the lure fractured internally, I thought weakness in lure. Second eye same deal. Cleaned out epoxy from third hole and just left a smear on the eye. This time success :D . Now I'm left with just one lure from the 2pc mold. Carefully, with just a smear of epoxy on the threads, I screwed in the line tie and hook hangers. I now have a cast lure, factoring in my failures in mold making and drilling etc., a very expensive cast lure. Next job is to see how it swims, it could be a disaster. The body measures 80mm and it weighs in at 26g.

Pic' below is the end result. Will post a pic' of the lure from the 1pc when it's completed, I de-molded this morning and hope to finish it mid week.

adyy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Cast resin lures

Post by adyy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:05 am

That thing looks terribly good. Almost like a Salmo Slider lure. =D>
Does it have any "action" with straight retrieve?

skinhead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skinhead » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:38 am

adyy wrote:That thing looks terribly good. Almost like a Salmo Slider lure. =D>
Does it have any "action" with straight retrieve?
It's a cast of a HRT Silver Fox, but I have just cast a couple of 10cm Sliders ;) . The Slider is an all time favourite of mine, one of my go to lures. Not had a chance to test the lures yet due to work and weather conditions :x . As they stand they are sinkers, I'll see how they run, but will also cast some more bouyant versions when I get some micro spheres.

With regard to drilling, have switched over to diamond drill bits. I spoke to the resin manufacturer and was advised that a standard twist drill bit is unsuitable, as holes in resin need to be ground rather than cut. Invested in a Dremel Workstation, pic' below, for total control and accuracy. Just waiting for a drill press vice and a Dremel Multi Chuck to arrive then I'll be working on a Slider.

ninjaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ninjaman » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:56 am

How did it swim?
This looks like a future wintertime project!

skinhead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skinhead » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:23 pm

That one didn't go as hoped. Have one Slider cast that does what I wanted, but yet to catch on it due to not being able to fish as all the waters are in flood.

Have cast a few more that are yet to get wet and finished another two an hour ago, including a BellyUp Slider with re-positioned line tie and belly hook ;) .

The other shoal ready for testing. Top are Salmo Sliders, the two at the bottom are HRT Silver Foxs, the left one rigged BellyUp.

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:54 pm

Great looking baits skinhead! I just ordered everything I needed to make my own Slider copy. Good winter project, between supertuning and making rods. Keep us updated as to how well they work for you.

ninjaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ninjaman » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:24 pm

They look really great, but having no clue about resin technique...
Don't they need weighting?

skinhead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skinhead » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:57 am

ninjaman wrote:They look really great, but having no clue about resin technique...
Don't they need weighting?
Yes they do, and that isn't my strong suit. I use self adhesive window lead externally, which I can add / remove at will. I'm also still playing with line tie positions in the hope that I can find one that repeatedly works for each type of lure.