Best aluminum "finesse" casting reel?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Best aluminum "finesse" casting reel?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:18 pm

Heck with it. Just bought a Daiwa Liberto Pixy Airy Red off of flea bay. Hope it functions :-k Anyways, need a rod. Please see my post under "rods", St Croix LTB OR Phenix Recon. Thanks

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:04 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:Heck with it. Just bought a Daiwa Liberto Pixy Airy Red off of flea bay. Hope it functions :-k Anyways, need a rod. Please see my post under "rods", St Croix LTB OR Phenix Recon. Thanks
Good choice. With what you were asking, I would have sugested Alphas Ito ai 103 (@ 5.9oz Stock Aluminum...not Magnesium), Alphas R, and the older Liberto Pixies. These reels outcasts and performs any reel mentioned except the Conquest 50s. But duely noted, the Conquest is about 3oz heavier and saltwater freindly.

donholton
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by donholton » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:19 am

The Pixy is great , but if you like a Conquest 51S, try the 51 with a shallow Avail and matching screw type mag brake. The Pixy can't keep up throwing super light baits. Ease of casting is amazing. Only downfalls- very pricy and a little too heavy, but definitely a word of fishing art.

Mark V
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mark V » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:10 pm

WoodT wrote:
Mark V wrote:Sol/Alphas with Megabass finesse spool.
Mine is pretty impressive so far, for sure. Be aware of the very limited line capacity...this one will spool easily if you are not using thinner lines and/or sub 1/4 weights. It is a really specific spool, relatively speaking. Makes cool sounds when you roll braid onto it. Not DC cool, but unique.

Best built/smoothest/coolest I got...Conquest 50 and TE50, if you have them on the right rod. With the 50s spool. I hear great things about the Avail spools but have no experience with them.

Good post on the Patriarch, bronzeye...I didn't know the spools were so light. I also think the premier with a finesse spool would be fun to cast.
I've got 6 lb copoly strung and with my mbr 782 imx, it's a small top water dream. I polished the reel internals and am using a td-z handle. It's so smooth it hurts to put down :)

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:30 pm

X2

mylobass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mylobass » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:37 pm

What about the original aluminum finesse reel, the Abu 1500/1600C? I throw near ultra light lures using one on a Loomis Kokonee Special 7ft rod with 2 and 4lb mono. Baby tarpon and snook are a blast.

bassman_382
Angler
Angler

Post by bassman_382 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:49 pm

x3. And add a clicky drag too...

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:11 pm

mylobass wrote:What about the original aluminum finesse reel, the Abu 1500/1600C? I throw near ultra light lures using one on a Loomis Kokonee Special 7ft rod with 2 and 4lb mono. Baby tarpon and snook are a blast.
Yep...these Abus can run with, and many times, run away from the other reels listed. IMO, only overall fit/finish and quality is less in the Abus.

runmax07
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by runmax07 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:29 am

Morrum sx1600c is the best stock reel (underated) out of the box and it uses a centrifical brake .....Great reel for throwing light baits.........The color scheme is excellent.....However, their no longer being made.....

mylobass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mylobass » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:27 pm

With Abu's anodized sideplates and chromed frame I'd say they are better fit and finished, especially a pre Pure Fishing made reel. Maybe just not stylish enough for todays male. No graphite, no decals or dry transfers to rub off, no chrome painted imitation metal. Certainly since most if not all distance record casting tournament wins have been won using a 2500/2600, the pedigree is there.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:29 pm

mylobass wrote:With Abu's anodized sideplates and chromed frame I'd say they are better fit and finished, especially a pre Pure Fishing made reel. Maybe just not stylish enough for todays male. No graphite, no decals or dry transfers to rub off, no chrome painted imitation metal. Certainly since most if not all distance record casting tournament wins have been won using a 2500/2600, the pedigree is there.
The Morrum Cs were the best overall in my book for the paint, laser etch, machining, etc. But the spool was heavy and there is no option for a lighter/shallower one. The (original) Pro Max peformed well, but he finish was not durable.

The Black Max was also not quite up to Calcutta level, nor was the Tournament Pro...but both are solid performers overall.

The 1st Gen IVCBs I had were akin to comparing a BMW to a Lexus...the refinement was there, the performance was there...but the components were IMO, not on par. The flying brake arm design, the rubber handle knobs, the line guide, the handle material, the IVCB dial mechanism - were just not up to the level of a Conquest or JDM Millionaire.

It is in the components that the Japanese have a better grade with their high-end reels vs Abu (Swedish made and JDM Abus). Overall engineering, design or performance of the reel is really a tough call with Daiwa/Shimano vs Abu as the Swedish Abus are some of the best engineered and performing reels around.

BTW...I personally feel that many classic Abus, and many of the Morrum line-up are among the classiest and most aesthetically attractive round reels ever made (esp for FW and bass). Still, the Conquest and Millionaire series will likely have a stronger following than the 1500/1600/3600 C-IARs or SXs, or S2s or IVCBs.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:20 am

I decided to downgrade the use of my PX68R and loaded it with 20# 832 and was just about spooling it with a 4" Live Magic Shad on 1/4 oz Beast Swimbait hook. Not finesse but very impressed with its casting capabilities with a lure that isn't the most aerodynamic and something that I'm always struggling to make long cast with. Spool was down to the point I can see the red arbor.

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:51 pm

I agree, vbs noise and very short cast time equals under filled spool and possible brakes on anyways.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:32 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
panyafish wrote:The Curado 50e is pretty hard to beat for finesse casting because it's spool weighs less than 11 g empty and around 18-19 g with mono. I don't know off hand any reel that has a lighter spool, you pretty much have to get an after-market spool to get something as light or lighter.
JM Carbonlite will throw 1/12oz cranks the same distances as the 50E.
Yeah 1 in 5 casts. Distance is not the biggest concern, it's when it lands and a fish takes it.

Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Silas » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:26 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:Heck with it. Just bought a Daiwa Liberto Pixy Airy Red off of flea bay. Hope it functions :-k Anyways, need a rod. Please see my post under "rods", St Croix LTB OR Phenix Recon. Thanks
Having just received the Pixy Airy Red, I, too, am considering all of these rods.

Which one did you end up with? Are you satisfied with it?