Thinking about buying a Megabass rod

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Thinking about buying a Megabass rod

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:40 pm

...and I would like something either heavy action or extra heavy(casting of course)length not as important as having a fast taper,but minimum of 6'6"...what options do I have,and at what prices? Was really thinking about getting a Jackall Delta Spec,but before I could buy one they were gone,and apparently nowhere to be found now...help is appreciated..

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Thinking about buying a Megabass rod

Post by USA-RET » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:08 pm

You didn't mention techniques, so I'll assume pitching and casting all around bigger baits.

For the money, I'd suggest you look at the X4 Orochi line. Destruction, Cover hacking are 4 power rods. Balanced and sensitive in my book. If you want to spend more, Black Jungle is another option for rods readily available in the US. I'd stay with an F6 and higher as a minimum if you want something resembling a "Heavy Power" rod. EXH - look for a higher F rating.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:43 pm

I have both the cover hacking and destruction and love both of them but the cover hacking is a fun rod at 6'8

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:01 pm

I'll kick in a little general information since your question was pretty wide open.

We have the Destruction in stock at $409 shipped. We have the Cover Hacking in stock at $389 shipped. If you're looking for a "heavy" with a fast taper, the Cover Hacking is a better choice. It's not as moderate as the Destruction, but it's also not quite as powerful. The Destruction is an amazing rod and the Tackle Tour review of this stick was very well done.

The Black Jungle rods were also mentioned. If you want an EXTRA HEAVY rod with a faster taper, the Super Red Demon is about as heavy powered a stick as you're going to find at 7'6" We also have this insane rod in stock for $699 shipped. As much as I love the F6.5-74XBJ Power Versatile, it doesn't have a fast taper despite its impressive power - we have that one too, $649 shipped 8-)

If you have any questions about any of these rods, feel free to get in touch. Good luck on your search either way!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:35 pm

Thanks to F&F and USA-RET for the advice,and thank you G man for popping in here as well,,,I was kinda hoping that you would ;) Indeed,when I make up my mind and decide to leap,it will be in Tackle Trap's direction...I was looking at your site a bit earlier.Even saw that you had the Duckett white ice rods,although I was a bit bummed to see that the production version doesn't much look like the prototype model...at any rate tho,I really am leaning towards biting the bullet and throwing down the big bucks and getting one of those Super Red Demon rods...what do you think,perfect match for a Z200HS or what?

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:24 am

Just curious, what are you going to be using this stick for?
Previously "theflyingplatypus".

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:17 am

CALL ME RIFLE wrote:I really am leaning towards biting the bullet and throwing down the big bucks and getting one of those Super Red Demon rods...what do you think,perfect match for a Z200HS or what?
Pick your poison - if you want the JDM Z2020HS or the US Z200HS, either make an ideal match for the Super Red Demon in terms of feel, aesthetics, and performance. I have some photos of my SRD combo on our facebook page and in the "Welcome to the Jungle" post in the show and tell section here on Tackle Tour. The SRD can handle big swimbaits, flipping or punching in anything, bama rigs, mag spinnerbaits, big jigs in deep water, and on and on...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:31 am

CALL ME RIFLE wrote:...what do you think,perfect match for a Z200HS or what?
Key word being perfect match.........Lin Black Jungle
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:48 pm

More of a specific rod for jigs/texas rigs you won't find a better heavy action fast rod than the Phase3 F6-69X Super Destroyer. Layed hands on one today as I visited Megabass USA and could not put this rod down, incredibly balanced, light and the upper blank felt very crisp. Actually the F5-611X BearingDown IMO felt noticeably more powerful towards the upper third of the blank though one power lighter, weird since their both fast action rods. The Racing Condition F6-69XRC Super Destroyer seemed to have more muscle as well though same ratings as the Phase3 Super Destroyer, obviously the use of different blanks tells the reason.

Though off the subject the my favorite rod today that almost came home with me was the Black Jungle Deep Cranking/Slow Rolling. I've been struggling with different deep crankbait rods over the last 5 years and think I might have found the one I've been looking for. Problem is do I want to spend $600 for a reaction rod. :whistle:

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:21 am

bronzefly wrote:I'll kick in a little general information since your question was pretty wide open.

We have the Destruction in stock at $409 shipped. We have the Cover Hacking in stock at $389 shipped. If you're looking for a "heavy" with a fast taper, the Cover Hacking is a better choice. It's not as moderate as the Destruction, but it's also not quite as powerful. The Destruction is an amazing rod and the Tackle Tour review of this stick was very well done.

The Black Jungle rods were also mentioned. If you want an EXTRA HEAVY rod with a faster taper, the Super Red Demon is about as heavy powered a stick as you're going to find at 7'6" We also have this insane rod in stock for $699 shipped. As much as I love the F6.5-74XBJ Power Versatile, it doesn't have a fast taper despite its impressive power - we have that one too, $649 shipped 8-)

If you have any questions about any of these rods, feel free to get in touch. Good luck on your search either way!
So would you suggest the destruction or cover hacking for all around casting jig duty, deep footballs, 3 wire bama rigs, swimbaits, deep spinnerbait? Trying to do as much research as possible before I buy from you :mrgreen: Plan on putting a Steez 100HLA on it.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:26 am

Teal101 wrote: for all around casting jig duty, deep footballs, 3 wire bama rigs, swimbaits, deep spinnerbait? Trying to do as much research as possible before I buy from you :mrgreen: Plan on putting a Steez 100HLA on it.
I'd go with the Destruction
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:43 am

Cal wrote:
Teal101 wrote: for all around casting jig duty, deep footballs, 3 wire bama rigs, swimbaits, deep spinnerbait? Trying to do as much research as possible before I buy from you :mrgreen: Plan on putting a Steez 100HLA on it.
Thanks Cal :mrgreen:
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:27 pm

Cal wrote:
I concur :lol: No doubt it's a great match for your listed techniques...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:30 pm

USA-RET wrote:
CALL ME RIFLE wrote:...what do you think,perfect match for a Z200HS or what?
Key word being perfect match.........Lin Black Jungle
HA HA,yes indeed my good man...but while TT has got me now buying JDM stuff,and I have bought 5-600 dollar reels,I have not gone so far as to be buying 1300 dollar reels.... :D and hopefully can keep refraining from doing so...oh,I'm sure they are completely awesome,no doubt in my mind...but I can get two or three Z's for that kind of money,and the Z is a great performer...just can't do it yet man.Not on reels and rods,not yet....blades,guns,sure...but not rods and reels yet.I'm sure it is simply a matter of time in reality,but I am trying hard to fight it man...

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:33 pm

Katron wrote:Just curious, what are you going to be using this stick for?
Howdy K,
Well,in part I want one simply because I do not yet have any Megabass rods,and I am falling victim to the dark side...aside from that,for all around heavy duty fishin,big lures for big Bass and also for Pike duties...