Witnessed Ebay Insanity Today

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Crackerjack
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Witnessed Ebay Insanity Today

Post by Crackerjack » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:18 pm

Chronarch 50 MG NIB went for $400 plus shipping :doh: Makes me think I should consider selling mine. NOT

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Witnessed Ebay Insanity Today

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:48 pm

Ebay is a weird critter for sure. When TW still had the Fuego 2000 in stock, on sale for 140 bucks, I bid on a couple listed on fleabay. You know, thinking I may get them for less. Most of them went for 170 bucks. Why a person would pay more for a reel of Ebay of all places, when they could get the same thing from the biggest online tackle store for less is beyond me.

dcorp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dcorp » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:54 pm

Yeah, I've seen some pretty crazy prices on curado e's, like over $200. Just takes two guys who really need/want something and they go to town.
Then on the flip side of that I just saw a new zillion go for $162....

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pharmboy2010 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:03 pm

May favorite was the old green TD-S rods before Daiwa reintroduced them. Saw a couple go over $200!

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:55 am

Keep watching that item, I bet it gets relisted. I see that a lot, some sellers, especially the ones that start auctions with no reserve have friends of family that start the bidding really low and as soon as someone else bids the price gets jacked up quick to the point it is the same price as retail and every so often it goes over and the seller gets stuck and has to go through the process again.
Barlow's Tackle

Crackerjack
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crackerjack » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:53 am

I go on Ebay to peruse for items of interest. I'll put them to my watch list and receive emails when items are ending. If something is a deal then I may bid but usually last minute snipers win. It wouldn't surprise me if the reel is relisted again since both parties bidding were newbies possible shills.

trytofish
Angler
Angler

Post by trytofish » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:01 am

Bet you that the one that pays more than what the item is worth is most likely overseas buyer.
Who would pay more than what that's already on discount if he or she have knowledge or been told about it from forums around?.

Sonicx360
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sonicx360 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:18 am

I saw a Shimano Calcutta TE 300 once for around $500 on eBay 2 years ago!!
Yep, that's what I only remember seeing that item.

Quillback
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Quillback » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:36 am

Cabelas had their 50th anniversary Zillions on sale a few months ago for $179. It took them a couple of months to sell them out, now I see them selling on Fleabay for low $200's.

Seems I can get better deals on the fishing boards than I can usuaally get on Fleabay. But sometimes there's still some good stuff on the Flea. Haven't checked lately, but they had the 2012 Premiers selling a $199 if you did a "buy now".

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SLM » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:42 am

smalljaw wrote:Keep watching that item, I bet it gets relisted. I see that a lot, some sellers, especially the ones that start auctions with no reserve have friends of family that start the bidding really low and as soon as someone else bids the price gets jacked up quick to the point it is the same price as retail and every so often it goes over and the seller gets stuck and has to go through the process again.
That's probably what happened: shill account bids.

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:44 am

I bet it was someone that had a ch50 mg, sold it, then regreted it. Im glad i held on to all 3 of mine.
There are no strangers in the Brotherhood of Fishermen.

KCL655321
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KCL655321 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:37 pm

I just cruise for BIN prices. I've never ran into auctions that people get stuff for dirt cheap, my guess is they find stuff people mislabeled & miscategorized, because every thing I've watched ends up close enough to BIN prices, it's not worth the time wasted watching it. I've seen plenty of stuff that I've seen go for way more than I thought it should & get amazed everytime I see something get bid beyond a lot of BIN prices & people keep bidding on it. I guess competitive nature is more important than common sense to some people.

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:43 pm

I have gotten Megabass baits for half retail NIB. You just have to lowball a buttload of them and pray that you don't win half of em or you will be broke :roll:
Previously "theflyingplatypus".

cwestly
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by cwestly » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:35 pm

I still find a good deal or two cruising around on Ebay. Buy-it-now or best offer deals are often pretty decent along with auctions that end during the middle of the night or early AM. The stuff I find on the boards here is usually in better shape though. Funny someone mentioned the Cabela's zillions...I was one of those who picked-up a couple on clearance and sold the for a nice little profit! I am a seller that plays fair and doesn't use family or friends to bid items up. I sold some TDX's reels this spring and had nearly identical items sell from $46 up to $125...go figure..maybe I should have had some help from family/friends!

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:50 pm

People get all caught up in bidding on stuff. I remember well the first auction I ever went to (well before the days of the internet, let alone ebay). I had a few things I was interested in, but knew what the values were and had firm bid limits. Most of it went for WAY more than it's street value. You could buy most of the stuff brand new for what folks were paying. It was an eye opening experience, but has served me well over the years. Set a max price you're willing to pay for something before you start bidding, and never, ever go over.

Like many of the others have said, BIN seems to be the way to go on ebay. I've gotten some great deals that way, without any of the drama.