steez 103ha vs sol for casting 1/8oz-1/4oz

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
polar
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

steez 103ha vs sol for casting 1/8oz-1/4oz

Post by polar » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:00 am

need help guys,
which is better for throwing 1/8-1/4oz on 8lb line, steez 103ha or sol?

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: steez 103ha vs sol for casting 1/8oz-1/4oz

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:11 am

id say steez...but you can get a sol cheaper and tune it up, add some nicer bearings, nicer spool (megabass finesse) and you will be golden for around the same price....
stress-what happens between fishing trips

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:03 am

I don't want to hijack polar's post, but would any change in spools help sol with 12# mono line and 1/4 oz? I'm thinking about a Steel 103ha, also. I will enjoy the posts related to polar's questions, just add any comments on 12# mono.

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:23 pm

I think a true 1/8 oz weight will be inconsistent at best with either of them. Both are great but 1/8 oz is time for a different reel or perhaps the new megabass finesse spools. My Sol with Ize spool and bearings isn't a lot of fun at 1/8.

A 1/8 jig plus stuff...different deal.

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:36 pm

Steez with Megabass Finesse spool of course. As woodt said a true 1/8oz weight and nothing else isn't going to be all that great on either reels stock. Now a Pixy with OS bearings or Steez with MB Finesse spool matched with the right rod is a different story.
Previously "theflyingplatypus".

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:54 pm

BigG wrote:I don't want to hijack polar's post, but would any change in spools help sol with 12# mono line and 1/4 oz? I'm thinking about a Steel 103ha, also. I will enjoy the posts related to polar's questions, just add any comments on 12# mono.
Based on what I understand about the zonda finesse spool, yes....but not sure you will get much 12# on it. The Ize spool is the traditional (and comparatively inexpensive) upgrade path for a Sol. It doesn't yield much for me. But that and OS7s do improve the Sol's lower end.

Again...I am talking total weight, not jig weight.

polar
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by polar » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:01 pm

Thanks for all of the above info. I already own a steez 103ha and recently bought a sol (upgraded bearings) thinking it would be better at throwing the light stuff. I was wrong. The steez is better at light weight stuff plus waaay smother than the sol. I opened this thread just to confirm my findings.

My reel arsenal consists of a steez 100ha, steez 103ha, and a sol. Does the sol excel in any department over the steezes???

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:49 pm

I do not think a Sol offers any static advantages over a Steez 103sha (thus the price difference)...except for stock gear ratio. Use the Sol for light (1/4 oz) reaction baits, as it is perfect for it. Try braided line if you haven't.

If you get the finesse spool for the Sol...the Zonda spool...yes, I bet the Sol will be better than the Steez for light baits.

Many folks here may say the Sol is friendlier than the Steez and that 103s can be temperamental. I've not had that issue, myself. It is a mighty fine reel. The Sol/Alphas platform is simply a great value reel that will not compete well with the (former) daiwa flagship.

rumrunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rumrunner » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:27 pm

i've got a sol with the ize spool,ceramicspool bearings and a swept handle with bearing knobs.it will throw an 1/8 oz crappie jig with a crappie tube on the right rod.i don't fish it that way, and i doubt it would cast well against any kind of breeze.but it excels for the smallest bass lures i throw.i don't have a steez, but my tdz-103's are just as good as my sol/alphas with light baits.if i buy more reels i'd get the steez, but i'm not ready to get rid of the sol.

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:41 pm

rumrunner wrote:i've got a sol with the ize spool,ceramicspool bearings and a swept handle with bearing knobs.it will throw an 1/8 oz crappie jig with a crappie tube on the right rod.i don't fish it that way, and i doubt it would cast well against any kind of breeze.
Sure. So can mine, whether the CF handle is on or the stock handle is on. ;-). And on the right rod. In dead calm.

It just isn't particularly effective nor a lot of fun, compared to true finesse reels...or $50 spinning combos. It is still a very good reel, and I'm speaking to my practical experiences with it as well as the Steez, which Is better, and priced to reflect that. It is also not a great reel below 1/4 oz.

polar
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by polar » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:22 pm

Hi WoodT, what bait casting reel would you use for less than 1/4oz?

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:27 am

Just to note, my Alphas ito 103 (Stock with Ize Spool) fully upgraded and tuned (11+1 Bearing, polished, ABEC9 Spool bearings...whole nine yards), cost me no more than $380. A good used stock Steez 103 can be had for about $380 as well. I have pitted my fully upgraded Alphas Ito 103 vs my Pixy-R (stock) using ML Rod and 20lbs braid (4lbs Mono Diameter). Both cast exactly the same with 1/8oz. As I started moving to 3/32nd to 1/16th, the lighter spool of the Pixy-R really shinned and was evident. Comparing this with the Steez 103HA stock, was more difficult to cast 1/8th oz out of the three reels. The same was seen on on the Finesse Jig head review by TT earlier this year I think. The Pixy-R was able to cast much better than the Alphas Finesse Custom with the finesse jig head TT reviewed. And these are true finesse reels vs the Steez 103, not quite a "True" Finesse Reel.

My whole point, the Alphas/Sol + upgrades to me is a much better route for 1/8oz - 1/4oz and especially under 1/8th oz. Thats if you are on a budget. The Steez with upgrades can cast 1/8th oz but not after putting in at least another $200+ into the Steez which already commands close to $400 used. Also, with the price of the Steez now have risen 10% from just two years ago. Plus, the 103's are no longer made and sold after October of this year. All the new Steez will be only 100 size with Mag-Z instead of the Mag-V found on the 103's.

By all means just get both and satisfy that curiosity.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:12 am

WoodT wrote:I think a true 1/8 oz weight will be inconsistent at best with either of them. Both are great but 1/8 oz is time for a different reel or perhaps the new megabass finesse spools. My Sol with Ize spool and bearings isn't a lot of fun at 1/8.

A 1/8 jig plus stuff...different deal.
X2

Mark V
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mark V » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:03 am

Stock sol vs stock Steez 103, I give the nod to the Steez.

Used sol in great shape goes for about $130-140 shipped. Megabass finess spool is $160 shipped from Tackle Trap. In this case I give the nod to the Sol.

rumrunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rumrunner » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:48 am

WoodT wrote:
rumrunner wrote:i've got a sol with the ize spool,ceramicspool bearings and a swept handle with bearing knobs.it will throw an 1/8 oz crappie jig with a crappie tube on the right rod.i don't fish it that way, and i doubt it would cast well against any kind of breeze.
Sure. So can mine, whether the CF handle is on or the stock handle is on. ;-). And on the right rod. In dead calm.

It just isn't particularly effective nor a lot of fun, compared to true finesse reels...or $50 spinning combos. It is still a very good reel, and I'm speaking to my practical experiences with it as well as the Steez, which Is better, and priced to reflect that. It is also not a great reel below 1/4 oz.
and i was speaking to my practical experience.the op asked about the sol.i mentioned the handle because the op mentioned smoothness in his second post.i didn't recommend a sol over a steez, just the opposite ;-)