2 lb test fishing line for trout

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
hooked
Angler
Angler

2 lb test fishing line for trout

Post by hooked » Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:53 pm

Question for all of you ultralight trout fisherman out there. What 2lb test line do you use and why? Personally, I'm using 2lb Izor Platnium and it's pretty strong for 2lb... my home tests says it breaks around 4lb. Just wondering what everyone else uses, thinking about trying something new.

bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: 2 lb test fishing line for trout

Post by bitesize » Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:27 am

I like the 2lb Izor also. It's a great line!
I have also tried the Maxima Perfexion and Sufix DNA at 2lb and it works for me. I think when the right line is combined with the right reel, you can prevent things like line twists and stuff.
Stren... uhhh... I don't like Stren.

What ultralight reel are you running?

Bitesize

hooked
Angler
Angler

Post by hooked » Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:53 pm

How do you like the maxima perfexion? How's the memory and strength? I use a older model Diawa Emblem-S 1500 series for 2lb test.

bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bitesize » Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:24 pm

I find that with most 2lb test memory is not an issue for me. Maybe it's the lines I have been using and haven't ran into anything horrible yet.. except the Stren.
Anyways, if you consider the thinner diameter of the Perfexion compared to the others, it's pretty tough.
I just started usin the new Sufix DNA line and it's doing good so far because it's soft, thus less memory. Must use it some more to know the strength and stuff. Will keep you updated.

What else have you used that you really hate or like?

Bitesize

hooked
Angler
Angler

Post by hooked » Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:09 pm

I've used 2lb p-line and it was pretty strong, the only drawback that I've found was that it was one of the thicker diameter lines I've used. Cuda 2lb test is also really strong (my tests broke at 5lb), it too is a little thicker becuase it's florocarbon coated but the price can't be beat. 2lb Izorline XXX strong is okay (Izorline guy said it broke at 5lbs) but had a little too much memory for me. Maxima Ultragreen and Izorline Platnium are almost perfect except that they are green. My problem is that I'm looking for a clear, strong line for the lakes and streams in the Sierras. I'm not too comfortable fishing green line in crystal clear water. For some reason, I feel I might get bit a little more on clear. I haven't tried Stren but my fishing buddy (Dad) doesn't like it so I haven't bothered to try it.

albackore
Angler
Angler

Post by albackore » Fri May 02, 2003 1:31 pm

I used to fish 2 lb P-line for years until I found the Maxima Perfection last season and love it much more. I found that the P-line was just a little too stretchy and slippery when it came to tying knots. I don't like the Stren at all.

hooked
Angler
Angler

Post by hooked » Fri May 02, 2003 9:51 pm

Albakore,

Do you happen to know the break strength of 2lb perfexion?

albackore
Angler
Angler

Post by albackore » Fri May 02, 2003 10:06 pm

I haven't personally done a formal test with the Perfexion, but I do notice that it has a decent toughness compared to it's diameter and stretch. I think TT did a review on the 2lb some time back....

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewmaximap.shtm

gyro
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gyro » Fri May 16, 2003 7:16 am

Maxima Ultragreen seems to work for me. Good knot strength, minimal line twist, but I sometimes wonder if the "absorbing light" technology really works.