Onboard Charger

dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Onboard Charger

Post by dampeoples » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:09 pm

When looking at these in the BPS catalog, I see several that say they can handle 12/24/36v systems. I assume that a 3 bank charger can handle only three batteries, regardless of voltage, or if I have both a 12v and 24v system on my boat, will the 2 bank charger be all that I need (2 batteries total)

I'm pretty sure one bank per battery, but wanted to make sure, thanks!

mrgadget
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Onboard Charger

Post by mrgadget » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:19 pm

I have had miced experience with the Cabelas Prosport chargers made by ProMariner.

2 years ago I bought a Cabelas ProSport 8/8 2-bank charger. Worked fine for the season, but I left it plugged in all winter "as adertised" to maintain the battery in "maintenance mode". Come spring (last year) the charge would not charge..no power light, no charge light. Called Cabela's, was informed that is was a "manufacturer's warranty", not their problem.

Two year warranty mfg warranty, so I sent it to Promariner. They repaired and returned it (internal fuse blown).

Again this past year, it functioned well through the season, charing and maintaing as required. Again, I left it plugged in all winter to maintain the batteries. In March of this years I untarped and discovered the power light was "ratcheting" on/off at one second intervals. I called ProMariner CS, my warranty on the original was now expired, but only a year since I had sent it back for repair the first time.

The CS rep was exceedingly assertive that the charger should not have failed and offerred to have me return it, not for repair, but for upgrade to a 12/12... at NO CHARGE!

Just this past week, I received a brand spanking new 12/12 ProSport (not a Cabela's "branded" ProSprt, but a genuine ProMariner!)

I have yet to install it in the boat (tomorrow project), so the jury is still out on it's long term performance. But I can and will say that ProMariner customer service and response to problems has been top notch. I feel that they have responded to my problems in a most professional and "customer first" manner.

So far, two thumbs up for ProMariner... also available at BPS and other fine tackle store. ;) Gadget

BTW: my buddy has a Guest (don't know what model) and has had ZERO problems over the five years he has owned it.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:15 pm

You should have one bank per battery.

I have 24v trolling motors and 12v general electrical system. I have 3 total batteries. I have a 3 bank charger.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Otterods - High performance hand crafted fishing rods

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:48 am

Mattman wrote:You should have one bank per battery.
Without a doubt!
If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:09 am

Without getting too far off-topic, I just installed a new 3 bank charger, after my old one took a lightning hit while up in Canada. I was kinda amazed at how advanced and complex the new series of chargers have become, when compared to the 3 bank Dual Pro I had that was 8 years old. Temp sensors built into the leads, charge rate monitors to only provide the type of charge needed based on battery condition, short and reverse current protection, self diagnostics on startup, and other features mean the new chargers have come a long way!

It is the Extreme SE Pro Series charger also made by Dual Pro, and has "charge-on-the-run" technology built into it. (The trolling motor batteries will charge after the main battery has charged, which is great for especially long days on the water.) I've got 3 Optima batteries, and I've found the 2 trolling motor batteries only lasted about 2/3 as long as comparable sized lead-acids, with the size trolling motor I have. So having 'Charge on the Run' allows me to get through a 16 hour day on the water.

Like Mattman says, "It's better to have and not need, rather than need and not have..." or something like that.

Chuck

dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dampeoples » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:53 pm

Killer, thanks!