Ranger Boat purchase opinions needed

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ranger Boat purchase opinions needed

Post by USA-RET » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:05 pm

An old Army friend has a 1989 Ranger 364V Comanche with a 115HP Merc engine. Engine is a 1993...he bought the boat new and say's it's in very good condition...everything that is supposed to work..works...engine runs strong..Rangertrail Trailer with chrome wheels...garage kept....wants $6500. What do ya think? I've done some searches and only found two 1989 364's listed..both were more expensive..and some of the earlier years (1988-1985) were ever more...as high as $13K.

He's selling it because he has another 1989 Ranger 361 with a 150..which he also bought new..and no longer uses the 364.

He was a guide on Lake Pickwick and bought both boats..used one for guiding, and the other as a personal boat (to keep the write-offs straight). I know the guy has always taken care of his stuff...so it's not a beater.

Sound like a fair deal? He lives in Illinois and will trail the boat to Florida in February to fish with it on Lake Toho with me....if I like it..He'll leave it with me.

Opinions...please.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Ranger Boat purchase opinions needed

Post by dampeoples » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:31 pm

If the 'book' or 'going' value of the boat is in-line with his asking price, and he's got enough faith to trail the rig across several states, I don't think you can go wrong at all!!

Only problem, to me, would be the long wait until Feb :) Good luck with it, whatever you decide!

adambrister
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by adambrister » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:44 pm

Sounds like a fair price if ya can wait... haha :lol: But seriously it sounds like a deal. Old Rangers are still great boats.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:14 pm

I know...February is along wait...but down here..Bass fishing is in full swing in February..it's actually slow now...way too hot.

I hear that the Rangers from the late 80's and early 90's are really rock solid boats. My only concern is the fact that it has a 115 Merc engine... probably wouldn't think twice if it had a 150. Most of the older Rangers selling in that price range have 150's or 175's on them..so this one is a bit underpowered for the money.

Like the old saying goes..pretty much everything is negotiable...except death. So price can be played with.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

adambrister
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by adambrister » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:43 pm

True, that's prime fishin time for you. And yeah the 115 might be a little light for that boat. If you can get him to negotiate a little, it still might be worth it.