Minn Kota Engine Mount Trolling Motor

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Minn Kota Engine Mount Trolling Motor

Post by kbookert » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:12 am

Does anyone have one of these or been with someone that had one? I am very intrigued by this and think it would be great for when I am zig zagging across flats or points looking for fish. I would also be great in the marina areas for moving around.

"Minn Kota's Engine Mount motors are ideal for fishing boats, or for turning recreational boats (like runabouts or pontoons) into fishing boats. The EM motor mounts permanently on the cavitation plate of our outboard or I/O lower unit, keeping the deck and transom of the boat clear. No stowing or deploying required. Once on plane, the EM rides completely out of the water, and will not interfere with the normal performance of your boat or engine."
If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Minn Kota Engine Mount Trolling Motor

Post by kbookert » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:46 am

Anyone?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:48 am

i THINK... JIP and/or Zander have been on a boat with one of those suckers attached... I think...
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:09 pm

book,
I fished with a buddy from Wisconsin that had one on his deep hull walleye boat. He used it for pulling planner boards that were rigged from a mast in the center of his boat. It was great for pretty much going in a straight line or even making a slow-gentle turn, but I can't say it was any good for manuvering like in a harbor because it didn't have enough thrust to make a power turn, like the big motor could -- the amount of turn is limited by the turn of the big motor, which isn't much over 45 degrees from side to side.

Another way to look at is to think about how much maneuvering you could do, if your current front mounted trolling motor was limited to 45 degrees or so each side of center. You could make slow sweeping turns, but sharp turns would be difficult to make. Now think about your current trolling motor being in the back of the boat, and having to push against the sides of the hull that are in the water (instead of the front which is cutting the water). Much worse.

I have a kicker motor on my Ranger that is setup quite similar -- I can link it to the main motor with a coupling rod, using the main steering to turn the kicker motor while trolling. It's a 9.9 hp motor, and I can only make slow turns with it, but again I only do that while trolling in big water. If I disconnect the coupling rod, I can turn the motor an additional 45 degrees (on each side, e.g. 90 degrees travel on each side), and maneuvering improves dramatically, especially since it has much more power than an electric.

At one time someone made a setup similar to the one in your post, that had 2 props. My buddy told me he had one on a previous boat, and you could control each prop separately. Supposedly it would turn the back of the boat on a dime, since you could go forward on one prop and slow reverse on the other, while still maintaining forward movement.

I don't know if that helps or not.

Chuck
TackleTour
Contributing Editor, Gear Crew Member and Moderator

superman_36
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by superman_36 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:25 pm

there is a guy here that has 2 mounted on the bottom of his jon boat and has a foot control on the front for reservoir fishing. I haven't seen it in the water just at a tackle shop he said it would move pretty good.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:38 pm

I ended up getting one of these off eBay. It was the Saltwater version but I got a great discount.

I have had it out twice now and like it a lot. I may have lost a little hole shot but not much. It rides completely out of the water so no reduction in speed.

I wanted it for hunting bass on flats and points, and it works great for that.

So far, so good.

dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dampeoples » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:01 pm

Erik, i'd love to know more, I've looked at these things for years, especially the power rating!

Keith, how easy would it be to fit to the transom on a jon boat, using the bow mount to steer, this thing just for uumph?

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:28 pm

It mounts on the cavatation plate of my big motor. Steering a Jon Boat would be the big task. Mine is 80# thrust with variable speed.

I was running it in the marina and people thought my big engine was real quiet. :lol:

dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dampeoples » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:35 pm

I'd steer with the bow mount, I couldn't do on a dime manuevers, but just want flat out speed for gettin' where I'm goin' :)

superman_36
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by superman_36 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:37 pm

I think it would work well i have thought about it on my new boat but i am going with a 101 on the front

dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dampeoples » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:47 pm

Got a guy in the club with one on the front, tough to catch him :)

I'm (finally) moving up to a 24v system, at least on the front, I'm not one to swap out stuff that's not broken, but this is a hella deal.

On that motor, I'd love to know the actual runtime, and how they can get that much thrust out of 12/24v, if you look, they claim 200+ lbs/thrust out of either 12 or 24v, runtime must suck!

Big Red
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Big Red » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:03 pm

Minn Kota says that these motors are not designed to stay submerged for an extended period of time. I found this info @

http://www.walleyecentral.com/dc/dcboar ... &mode=full

dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dampeoples » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:10 pm

That's interesting, but you should also state that that means docking the boat, as opposed to trailering it. My original thought was it's gonna be submerged most of the day, that's crazy!

ScreamingBull
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ScreamingBull » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:36 pm

I have one OEM80 Minnkota engine Mount on a Lund Mr.Pike with a 115 HP Yamaha the Minnkota work very well easy to handle but if you are in waves even small one the top of the propeller go out of the water and you are loosing trust.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:06 am

dampeoples wrote:That's interesting, but you should also state that that means docking the boat, as opposed to trailering it. My original thought was it's gonna be submerged most of the day, that's crazy!
Being submerged for a day is not going to hurt them. I have my boat in the water a long time each time. I have not noticed any water being taken on by this motor. That like have a bow mount in the water all day.