Calais 100a Clutch Not Re-engaging?

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
greatbarracuda
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Calais 100a Clutch Not Re-engaging?

Post by greatbarracuda » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:46 am

Alright, here's the situation:

Fishing yesterday with a 3/8oz spinnerbait. Push down the clutch to cast, make the cast, and try to turn the handle to re-engage the clutch/spool/whatever u call it. The familiar click of the re-engagement isn't there and the handle turns freely without resistance. The spool is still on free-spool.

Tried moving the handle some more, playin with the drag, and taking the spool out, but no change. Didn't want to waste time dismantling on the water so I left it as was. At work now so I can't really go about fixing it here. Any idea why this would happen and/or how to fix it?

Appreciate any help I can get with this one. TIA!

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Calais 100a Clutch Not Re-engaging?

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:58 am

It sounds like the clutch return spring broke or the pinion bearing is rusted and not allowing the gear to return.

Try lightly tapping the reel on something padded and see if the clutch will return. If not send the reel uin for repairs. The Calais is covered by our Platinum Service Plan. Repair turn around time is 48 hours or less.

Shimano attn Reel Repair
1 Holland
Irvine, CA 92618

greatbarracuda
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by greatbarracuda » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:15 am

Thank ye very much for your insight bantam. Will try it out tonight when I get home.

greatbarracuda
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by greatbarracuda » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:47 pm

Woot, just got home and tried giving it a gentle shake to simulate the tapping you suggested and it seemed to pop back into place. And there i'd been previously debating opening it up myself. Thanks again for your help bantam!