Is the TD-ITO Still King??

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
BassFreak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Is the TD-ITO Still King??

Post by BassFreak » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:06 pm

I know there a lot of TD-Z Ito fans on here, But with all the new reels out and new technology thats being used today. With price aside, Is the TD-Ito the best "all-around" Low profile baitcaster?? And if not, Who would we crown?

Just wanted to pick at some of your minds here..
Thanks

klackrus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Is the TD-ITO Still King??

Post by klackrus » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:11 pm

well yes and no. but its still the reel that i put on the top of my list. the steez is there with it but it just isnt as cool as the td ito. for me the td ito is still the king :D

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:19 pm

I personally do not have any interest in the TD-ITO. I'm sure its an incredible reel but it's based off the TD-Z which is one generation older than the Steez reel. If I had to choose between the two it will be the Steez for me. The ito has an incredible color but save for that I still feel the Steez looks better.

frogpond11
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by frogpond11 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:20 pm

Antares/Calais are probably pretty close as well...

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:53 pm

Im told by reputable sources that the Steez will outperform the TD Ito with both being in their stock form. In a way the TD Ito and the Steez are a lot alike. With the Steez your getting all the TDZ goodness plus Type R+ tuning in a mainstream reel with a better drag and bearings (only thing im not certain on is bearings).

If you want a high performance piece of machinary that will probably blow away all other stock mainstream reels in most areas then youd probably want the Steez. If weight dont bother you and can your more the techy type you might want to give the Calais DC/Antares a shot.

If your an enthusiast, the TD Ito is the cream of the crop for us as far as low-profile baitcasters go.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:01 pm

The Steez may have the latest technology but that doesn't necessarily make it the better reel. Sometimes you have to go beyond benchmarks and quantification and into the realm of the intangible.
The TD Z is a classic. What Mr. ito did to it, elevated it to a whole other plane. Let's take the Ford Mustang GT, then have Saleen motor works perform a tweak or two. It's been improved upon by taking a beauty and sending it to finishing school.
I would rate the highest echelon of our enthusiast reels as follows:
TD Ito 103 series
Shimano Antares DC
Steez
Conquest
Revo STX
Zillion

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:28 pm

What is better ? A Duesenberg or a spankin new Rolls

It really depends on how you feel about it, yeah a new Rolls maybe one of the most technologically advanced modern cars but for those collectors that own Dussies a spankin new Rolls is just a spankin new Rolls while a Duesenberg is a jewel on wheels. No point of comparison, two different animals.

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:50 pm

Johnny A wrote: I would rate the highest echelon of our enthusiast reels as follows:
TD Ito 103 series
Shimano Antares DC
Steez
Conquest
Revo STX
Zillion
Id have to agree with that list sorta accept put mine like this from my perspective and for baitcasting-
1) TD Ito 103M/ML (do I even have to comment)
2) Daiwa TDZ Type R+ or equvilant (for enthusiasts this is the TDZ to
have before the Ito ofcourse the fact you cant buy them as easyly increases collectors value and propels it past the Steez)
3) Daiwa Steez (A mainstream reel this light with better performance then the old stock TDZ?)
4) Shimano Conquest DC/Calais DC or equivilant. (Revolutionary break system deffinatly worthy of this spot if not higher)
5) Daiwa TDZ stock (legendary reel, no one can deny it.. dont whine about the drag just upgrade it.)
6) Zillion (Stock its a nice workhorse love my burner, now add aftermarket support plus a custom Zillion about to be released I think its a worthy mention)

For spinning ill only name two as im not a spinning guy. The most important for me in order would be.
1) Evergreen Opus-1 (by a country mile)
2) Ito.
-) None others really interest me, not a spinning guy.

The Steez in its stock form is a lighter modernized TDZ with Type R+ tuning. On paper it should perform a little bit better then a TD Ito both being in their stock form. Now to an enthusiast the clear obvious choice would be a TD Ito. Id throw this Steez to someone faster than you can blink your eye for a TD Ito and ive wanted this (Steez) so bad for atleast a year. I love my Zillion to but I think it falls short in the enthusiast list, well the Zillion HLC would be another story.. so yeah ill add Zillion now. Call me biased if you want but this would have been the same list if I owned neither the Zillion or Steez.

Now for us rod guys.. the Steez is a dream come true. We can pick up a mainstream reel knowing it will give us enthusiast performance while we focus more on getting those hard to obtain (at times) rods.

Papageno1791
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Papageno1791 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:15 pm

TD-Ito is still the king for enthusiasts. Its hard-to-find status, its collector's value, etc. make it unique. The fact that I just have to click the 'order' button to get a Steez in 3-4 days makes it less exclusive and more a reel for the masses (if not for the price). 8-)
---- Catch & Release -----

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:30 pm

[font=Arial]Pixilla!!![/font]
:twisted:

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:30 pm

Papageno1791 wrote:TD-Ito is still the king for enthusiasts. Its hard-to-find status, its collector's value, etc. make it unique. The fact that I just have to click the 'order' button to get a Steez in 3-4 days makes it less exclusive and more a reel for the masses (if not for the price). 8-)
Yes, I guess there is an aura of "old money" to the ito 103M.

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:42 pm

mhood wrote:[font=Arial]Pixilla!!![/font]
Yeah id put the Pixy above the Zillion.

Fishingboy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fishingboy » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:21 pm

How I really wish there was a Pixy-Ito. It's not fair to the Pixy as reels such as the TD-Z, Alphas and Millionaire have got the Ito treatment. why leave the Pixy out :shock:? with a Pixy-Ito, we could have the Pixy-Ito-D.R or better known as the Pixzilla-Ito-D.R. How does that sound like? Er... not sure if they would do the Pixy-Ito in an orange version :big grin:

klackrus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by klackrus » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:24 pm

Fishingboy wrote:
How I really wish there was a Pixy-Ito. It's not fair to the Pixy as reels such as the TD-Z, Alphas and Millionaire have got the Ito treatment. why leave the Pixy out :shock:? with a Pixy-Ito, we could have the Pixy-Ito-D.R or better known as the Pixzilla-Ito-D.R. How does that sound like? Er... not sure if they would do the Pixy-Ito in an orange version :big grin:
ive always wanted a pixy ito but i dont think we will ever get that :cry:

Fishingboy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fishingboy » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:27 pm

That's kind of sad :crying: that we would never see a Pixy-Ito. Really hope one day (probably in my dreams) that i'll be fishing with a Pixy-Ito :pray: