Search feature enhanced

JIP
Site Admin
Site Admin

Search feature enhanced

Postby JIP » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:58 pm

The forum search tool located near the top of the forum inbetween FAQ and Memberlist, now has a new feature.

Before:
Search topic title and message text
Search message text only

After:
Search message title only
Search message text only

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Search feature enhanced

Postby kbookert » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:22 am

JIP wrote:The forum search tool located near the top of the forum in between FAQ and Memberlist, now has a new feature.........
After: Search topic title and message text
Search message text only

This is excellent! I use this search feature a lot trying to keep related post or additional information together.

We should all try to use the Search Feature when posting a new topic. A lot of times the topic you are about to post has already been discussed. The best thing is to add to an existing post to keep all the information together.

Thanks for the information JIP, this will come in real handy.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: SEARCH BEFORE YOU POST

Postby kbookert » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:12 am

Hi all. I wanted to remind everyone to please think about the SEARCH function for the forum and how important it is.

Above you will see a post by JIP on the use of this very important and useful function. It is very easy to use and can rapidly provide you with a lot of information. The problem is we end up with a lot of different posts on the same topics.

For instance, try a search on Chatterbait. I come up with about a dozen topics asking for information, opinions or positive and negative comments on the Chatterbait. With separate topics, we would have to do a lot of research to find what we are looking for, or we end up asking the same question over and over by starting a new thread. If these were all consolidated together we would have some extremely valuable information. We would also have a historical look at a specific topic. Something that started out as a plus may turn into a minus or it may get increasing positive comments. Positive and negative thoughts on a particular product in the same thread are extremely useful to all of us in the decision making process.

Another example is one reel versus another. Comparing reels is great information. For instance if you had two different threads like the Pflueger X vs. Shimano X and the Pflueger X vs. Daiwa X , if these were in the same thread, we would have some excellent comparison on the Pflueger reel.

When we get into areas such as “how toâ€Â

zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby zenbassr » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:15 pm

JIP wrote:Before:
Search message text only

After:
Search message text only

not sure if this is working...searching "All Forums" and only getting maybe 3-4 hits, if any, when querying for calcutta, scorpion, dc, etc. i would expect to get a few dozen on "common" words like that, no?

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Postby kbookert » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:25 am

ZB, that is strange. I came out with the same results. Only 12 matches on the word Scorpion? JIP will have to take a look at that when he gets the chance.
If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.

JIP
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JIP » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:08 am

After the server upgrade the search function hasn't been fully restored yet. We'll get it working by next week. :D
JIP - TackleTour.com
http://www.tackletour.com

JIP
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JIP » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:36 am

Search should be working now. Let me know if there's anything weird.
JIP - TackleTour.com

http://www.tackletour.com

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: SEARCH BEFORE YOU POST

Postby kbookert » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:00 am

[quote="kbookert"]Hi all. I wanted to remind everyone to please think about the SEARCH function for the forum and how important it is.

Above you will see a post by JIP on the use of this very important and useful function. It is very easy to use and can rapidly provide you with a lot of information. The problem is we end up with a lot of different posts on the same topics.

For instance, try a search on Chatterbait. I come up with about a dozen topics asking for information, opinions or positive and negative comments on the Chatterbait. With separate topics, we would have to do a lot of research to find what we are looking for, or we end up asking the same question over and over by starting a new thread. If these were all consolidated together we would have some extremely valuable information. We would also have a historical look at a specific topic. Something that started out as a plus may turn into a minus or it may get increasing positive comments. Positive and negative thoughts on a particular product in the same thread are extremely useful to all of us in the decision making process.

Another example is one reel versus another. Comparing reels is great information. For instance if you had two different threads like the Pflueger X vs. Shimano X and the Pflueger X vs. Daiwa X , if these were in the same thread, we would have some excellent comparison on the Pflueger reel.

When we get into areas such as “how toâ€Â
If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.

Return to “TT Announcements”