Dialing in your Concept Z

Questions regarding an existing product from 13 Fishing? Talk directly to an official representative!
13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Dialing in your Concept Z

Post by 13Fishing » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:50 pm

Wanna get out there with the best of them, well the Concept Z will certainly allow you to do that provided you take the time to learn how to adjust it.

Most anglers will try to adjust the Z just like they do a ball bearings reel...thats fine, but if you want to unleash added distance back the cast control cap off(typically a 1/2-3/4 a turn looser) and cast it with a full brake weight LESS than what you would normally.(this might scare you, but give it a try and you will be surprised!) The CZB material spins with more consistent RPMs and is more controllable and predictable.

Of course if your a hot shot and you already cast with 0 brakes and a loose cast control no need for a change, your in the top 2% of all anglers.

A neat test to showcase the control of the Concept Z is skipping docks. You will find you can skip it farther and farther under the docks...the looser setting will give you that rocket skipping distance without the squirrely overrun you see with ball bearings.

Tight Lines!

Matt
13 Fishing

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Dialing in your Concept Z

Post by fffishing » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:42 pm

Hi Matt,thanks for info!
So,were is can I get this Concept Z bushing? Wanna try,but don't need a reel.
Thanks

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:58 pm

I feel like I owe an apology, I have been a hard Daiwa/Shimano only fisherman and not given the other companies much credit. It is actually really cool that 13 Fishing is taking a wild shot in trying something like this. You don't learn without trying. I watched another youtube test where a guy had the CZB barely outcast a regular bearing and went to complain; but in reality that is a BUSHING that just outdid a conventional (and probably high quality) ball bearing. That could really be groundbreaking for saltwater. I guess my brand loyalty has left me slightly blind, but even though I don't own one they are growing on me.

Even if the performance in distance casting was slightly dropped (which it isn't), many people would love to trade the maintenance potential of a bearing for a hassle free bushing.

Either way I apologize for any negativity sent from me, just had a bad experience with one 13 reel and never got it resolved.

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 13Fishing » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:21 am

Appreciate your words, your statement is exactly the thought process that is needed to accept that the Concept Z is showcasing an all new material bearing. The material has unique attributes that can be applied to many aspects of fishing very favorably. We will push this technology further in future models. Some anglers are having a hard time accepting a 1 piece bearing(ie:bushing) could produce results that are competitive. Changing an ideology that the fishing industry has created over decades takes time.

Matt
13 Fishing

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:13 am

13Fishing wrote:Appreciate your words, your statement is exactly the thought process that is needed to accept that the Concept Z is showcasing an all new material bearing. The material has unique attributes that can be applied to many aspects of fishing very favorably. We will push this technology further in future models. Some anglers are having a hard time accepting a 1 piece bearing(ie:bushing) could produce results that are competitive. Changing an ideology that the fishing industry has created over decades takes time.

Matt
13 Fishing
Now, if you guys could just find a way to make aluminum gearing more durable, some kind of a coating (like this http://www.skygeek.com/sandstrom-28a-so ... 6147d.html) that would keep the gears from wearing so quickly.
Or maybe just a different (softer) alloy.
Or maybe just going back to a brass main gear.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:54 am

13Fishing wrote:Appreciate your words, your statement is exactly the thought process that is needed to accept that the Concept Z is showcasing an all new material bearing. The material has unique attributes that can be applied to many aspects of fishing very favorably. We will push this technology further in future models. Some anglers are having a hard time accepting a 1 piece bearing(ie:bushing) could produce results that are competitive. Changing an ideology that the fishing industry has created over decades takes time.

Matt
13 Fishing
No problem, I try to think rationally and logically as possible, but sometimes brand loyalty and perception throws me off. I did have an issue with a 13 reel, what's my best plan of action? It was a gift and no receipt was with it. Still would like to recover something and give your brand another shot...

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 13Fishing » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:41 am

Simple process, just send it in to our service/warranty department. Our team will take excellent care of you. You can find a warranty/service form under the support tab of our website. www.13fishing.com Just enclose it with your rod or reel.

or just call in 800-508-6013. Our Customer Service team will do everything they can to help.

Matt
13 Fishing

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:26 am

My Concept Z 7.3:1 RH arrived yesterday (thank you Tacklewarehouse).
I am going to spool it up with 50 lb braid, put it on a 7'3" fast action spinnerbait rod, and test cast it today off my dock.
I have the brakes set at 1, and will adjust the cast control knob for a free fall with a 1/2 oz spinnerbait, like I always do. baitcasters.
I may even try skipping with a jig, too.
Fingers crossed.

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 13Fishing » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:18 pm

Awesome, enjoy the new reel. If you have any questions reach out to us. 800-508-6013.

play around with it for a while, get used to it. its a lot of fun to fish.

Matt
13 Fishing

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:30 am

13Fishing wrote:Awesome, enjoy the new reel. If you have any questions reach out to us. 800-508-6013.

play around with it for a while, get used to it. its a lot of fun to fish.

Matt
13 Fishing
I tried it with 65 lb braid, and a 1/2 oz spinnerbait, and was pleased.
I had to have the brake set at two, but I backed off the cast control knob to free fall, and was able to cast it easily with minimal thumbing.
It is easy to cast, smooth, and quiet! It reminds me of the first time I heard/didn't hear an electric car.
I put it on my lighter punching setup, with a 1 oz weight, and hope to take it swimming tomorrow. Too much wind today for me!

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:40 am

I've been using my Concept Z since February on my lighter flipping/punching setup, on a 7'11" Abu Veritas extra heavy cranking stick, with 65lb braid. I like the more moderate bend to keep fish pegged without ripping out the hook, and it only cost me $79. Did I mention I was cheap?
I've caught dozens of fish with it, but never really something to challenge the setup, until yesterday.
I pitched my 1 oz setup into a gap between a hyacinth mat and some blown in primrose debris. The bait began to swim away, I swung, and had a big fish on! I winched it up to the top, but it was hung on a primrose strand, so I couldn't get it out. Those things are unbreakable. I kept the rod loaded, moved in close, and my buddy lipped an 8lb 6oz fish!
The reel, with the drag buttoned down tight, performed flawlessly, and it was just as smooth afterwards as it has been since I bought it.
Having a stout, lightweight reel and a lighter, balanced rod has made my flipping and punching a pleasure, instead of a chore.

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 13Fishing » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:40 am

Glad to see you are putting the gear to great use. Nice Fish!

Matt
13 Fishing

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:34 am

Update: I switched my Concept Z/65lb braid reel onto a frog rod that I used to throw whopper ploppers, and it is amazing!
I have my favorite original Smoke Burner on another identical setup, and found the Z outcast the Smoke throwing the same 1 1/4 oz homemade whopper plopper with the same rod.
The Z was wasted on a punching setup!