Issues with Concept KP binding up

Questions regarding an existing product from 13 Fishing? Talk directly to an official representative!
nikbrewer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Issues with Concept KP binding up

Post by nikbrewer » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:18 am

just purchases a Concept KP from tackle warehouse a few months ago. have used it several times and really like it. Last weekend it started binding up on retrieve. It appears to be something with the level wind as it happens at the same point on the level wind, ad it binds then jumps. It really binds up like its hard to turn the handle for a second, then it jumps and is ok. I have cleaned the work gear and re greased it, and it fixes it for a bit, then starts back up.

I was going to send it to tackle trap for a tune up, but was wondering what could cause this issue.

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Issues with Concept KP binding up

Post by 13Fishing » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:10 am

Nik,

Sorry for the slow reply, we haven't been on the board lately. I hope your issue has already been resolved.

Most likely the worm gear on the bottom of the line guide needs replacement. This is a fairly common easy repair, and is most often caused by dirt, debris, sand, or salt getting in the channel of the gear. Fill out a warranty form on our website and send it in, turn around time is usually only a few days. If you want to talk to us, give our customer service center a call 800-508-6013.

Matt
13 Fishing

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: Issues with Concept KP binding up

Post by mark poulson » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:07 am

Check the level wind for debris. I had that happen to a reel, and found a tiny piece of fluoro (probably from when I cut off a bait directly over the reel when it was on the deck) was all the way to one side of the level wind, and was causing a binding when the line guide reached that side. I picked it out, and the reel is fine now.
Most of us fish bait casters with exposed level winds, and, to me, it is a wonder that this doesn't happen more often!