is there a 13 fishing spinning reel coming?

Questions regarding an existing product from 13 Fishing? Talk directly to an official representative!
MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: is there a 13 fishing spinning reel coming?

Post by MaxZmus » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:16 pm

Aluminum frame, brass or aluminum gears, even line lay with worm gear oscillation for maximum line twist reduction. Smooth drag of course, a 2500 size for largemouth bass in the 7 to 8 oz. range. Last but not least, none of this means anything if it doesn't look badass.

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 13Fishing » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:59 am

Thanks guys! Just dropping a note to say we are reading these posts and considering feedback from everyone.

Matt
13 Fishing

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:14 am

The rear drag is a good idea. A lot of steelhead and salmon fisherman prefer the RD but feel they may be compromising the quality of reel they are using because the RD is pretty much only offered on some lower end reels. If you made a RD spinning reel that retails for about 70 bucks for steelhead fisherman, I think they would sell.

Susitnasalmonguide
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Susitnasalmonguide » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:15 am

Since all fishermen do not think alike, after consideration, some of our thoughts will undoubtedly need to be modified or left out.

Concerning the concept of spare spools -- I can understand why some anglers may like them -- and I can see why those anglers would like to have a "Free" spare spool as part of their original purchase. When purchased separately or by special order the price of a spare or different spool option, by necessity, must go up. On the other hand a spare spool is never really, "Free." Someone pays for it. Either the cost of the reel goes up -- and everyone (including those who do not want spare spools) pays the higher price, or the reel may be sold at a lower price point without the spare spool. As one who owns drawers full of spare spools which are rarely used, count me in the group preferring a lower priced reel without the spare spool. Still options to purchase a reel with a spare spool, lower capacity spool, or higher capacity spool are worth considering.

I greatly prefer a metal spool over graphite or some less rigid material. In my opinion they help the reel operate more smoothly and feel like quality. Although I have fished and guided fishing trips for decades, I can not recall ever denting or damaging a metal spool, so to me, aluminum spools have always been plenty durable. I have scuffed up the surface of spools before -- but don't consider that as damage since they continue to fish fine.

As evidenced by this thread, reels with easier on the fly drag adjustment / rear drag are desirable to some anglers. Although I've used some of these spinning reels in the past -- and particularly liked one of them (whose drag held up well) I've also owned multiple problems with rear drags on other spinning reels. So if you choose to produce a rear drag reel, make it durable. As a fishing guide I usually want a reel that can be set up with a consistent drag at the right setting / over something to adjust while fighting a fish. In my experience infight drag adjustments (by less experienced anglers) often leads to broken line and/or lost fish. At times when instant higher drag pressure is desired, I usually prefer manual spool pressure, because the added pressure can be removed just as quickly, and to the exact original drag setting.

I hope you are enjoying this opportunity to consider our thoughts, and I look forward to seeing the spinning reel(s) you design.

Fish On!