Broken guide - can I do this? (temporarily!)

Questions regarding an existing product from 13 Fishing? Talk directly to an official representative!
curls
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Broken guide - can I do this? (temporarily!)

Post by curls » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:43 pm

So one of my two 7'1" MH Omen Black rods has lost a guide - about 1/2 way down the blank, it snapped at the guide foot. In a tournament frenzy, I used side-cutters to snap the guide off the line and kept fishing.
If I were to tape over the tiny protruding guide foot remaining on the blank, to prevent line from being cut, would it be safe for the blank if I were to fish without this middle-of-the-train guide?

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Broken guide - can I do this? (temporarily!)

Post by Finnz922 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:17 am

I had an old St. Croix Premier that I lost the second to the top guide on. I fished it a few times and it performed but it definitely changed the way the rod performed when hooked up. It didn't balance the weight of the fish on the end of the line across the blank correctly. I suggest getting it fixed. Maybe a rod builder can chime in and give a better explanation.

Demoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Demoman » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:51 am

Absolutely not safe for the blank. Chances of a Rod fracture increase substantially if it's missing an eyelit.

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:43 am

I see no reason you can't do it to get through a tournament or a weekend trip. I also see no reason you will damage the blank. If anything, it'll put more stress on the guides before and after the broken guide...they could become loose or the finish protecting the the thread may crack. Think of it as poorly spaced guides...like how some cheap 7' rods have 5 or 6 guides. The line may dip below the blank under load but it'll survive until you can get it fixed.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:09 am

Demoman wrote:Absolutely not safe for the blank. Chances of a Rod fracture increase substantially if it's missing an eyelit.
Guide spacing transfers load to the 'backbone'. If the spacing transition fails, load is not transferred. This is not good.

curls
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by curls » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:14 am

Damn, that sucks. I'd rather spend $10 to replace the guide once the lakes freeze over, and use the rod (sparingly) in the meantime. However, a broken blank would suck more, so I'll put this rod aside for now.
Thanks for the replies folks!

Demoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Demoman » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:24 am

curls wrote:Damn, that sucks. I'd rather spend $10 to replace the guide once the lakes freeze over, and use the rod (sparingly) in the meantime. However, a broken blank would suck more, so I'll put this rod aside for now.
Thanks for the replies folks!
Why not rob a guide off another old or busted Rod and if you don't know how to wrap it on properly, just wrap it with braid and a touch of superglue to hold it? Back in business.

curls
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by curls » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:42 pm

That's a good idea! I have a broken Abu with nice guides (probably stronger guides than the Evolve ones on the 13 rod). I'll carve one out tonight and wrap some nylon thread around it and saturate in epoxy. :)

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 13Fishing » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:40 am

Please give our customer service line a call and one of our team is on the other end of the phone waiting to help you. We are happy to send you the guide you need, or help with any other issue.

800-508-6013.

Matt
13 Fishing

curls
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by curls » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:08 am

13Fishing wrote:Please give our customer service line a call and one of our team is on the other end of the phone waiting to help you. We are happy to send you the guide you need, or help with any other issue.

800-508-6013.

Matt
13 Fishing
Thanks Matt - I'll call today. It just so happened that the other 7'1" MH I own lost a guide this past weekend as well! Same way - snapped clean off right where it bends to lay against the blank. :(

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 13Fishing » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:07 am

Oh Man....total bummer. Call us ASAP and let us make it right for you.

Matt
13 Fishing

curls
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by curls » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:50 pm

13Fishing wrote:Oh Man....total bummer. Call us ASAP and let us make it right for you.

Matt
13 Fishing
Emailed this morning! :)

Thanks,
Eric

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 13Fishing » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:49 am

Hope everything got resolved, Tight Lines!!

-Matt

curls
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by curls » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:28 am

Awaiting the replacement guides in the mail here in Canada. No rush, I've got other rods for now, but obviously prefer the 13 Fishing ones for most stuff!