New updated Omen Black

Questions regarding an existing product from 13 Fishing? Talk directly to an official representative!
hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: New updated Omen Black

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:36 am

American Legacy has them in stock now and with free shipping, too.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:44 pm

None of the Field and Stream stores in western PA have them on the rack yet. That's a shame.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:34 am

$84 AND CHANGE FOR THE NEW 6'10" MEDIUM FROM TACKLE WAREHOUSE.... ALL CAPS, SO YOU KNOW I'M EXCITED!!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 13Fishing » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:14 am

I think everyone will really be impressed with the New Gen 2 Omen Black Rods....We have refined the actions, increased durability while still being able to decrease the weight, improved the components(These Alps guides are impressive).

I see a few comments regarding the old hook keeper, I think anglers will enjoy the versatility of the new hook keeper, a hook/lure can be attached to it several different ways.

Matt
13 Fishing

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:06 am

13Fishing wrote:.... improved the components(These Alps guides are impressive).
Matt,
Do you have any plans to offer micro or semi-micro guides on any series? I think it would be a good move, based on the popularity of micros today. Specifically, I mean something similar to what Abu did with the Veritas series-i.e., offer both regular guides and micros on most of the models.

Thanks!

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 13Fishing » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:45 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Matt,
Do you have any plans to offer micro or semi-micro guides on any series? I think it would be a good move, based on the popularity of micros today. Specifically, I mean something similar to what Abu did with the Veritas series-i.e., offer both regular guides and micros on most of the models.

Thanks!
Hoohoojroo (great name),

At this moment, we aren't planning a launch with micros. We have a few different prototype series rolling around the office with what some would call a 'mid-micro' feel (more 4.5/5.5 than anything); but, nothing in a true micro sense.

It's not to say we won't add in the future. We are always playing with the specialty actions, could be a good fit for a few techniques.

Thanks,
Jim

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:59 pm

I would very very much like to see micros available on the omens.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:11 am

13Fishing wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Matt,

Thanks!
Hoohoojroo (great name),

At this moment, we aren't planning a launch with micros. We have a few different prototype series rolling around the office with what some would call a 'mid-micro' feel (more 4.5/5.5 than anything); but, nothing in a true micro sense.

It's not to say we won't add in the future. We are always playing with the specialty actions, could be a good fit for a few techniques.

Thanks,
Jim
I've found on my custom do-it-myself builds that size 5 Fuji K guides (I would call these mid-micros) are pretty much perfect. They are very small looking on the rod, weight next to nothing, and have plenty of room to fit 30lb braid with 16lb mono/fluoro leaders without problems. They also are easy to feed line through and don't clog easily.

For rods designed for heavier line like flipping sticks, frogging rods, or swimbait rods (50lb braid with 35+lb leaders) I recommend size 6 guides, which I think is what is on the Omens now.

DaveJ

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:48 am

I prefer the mid sized guides. The lightest rod im my stable (6'5" 2.75oz) has mid sized titanium SiC guides. My real world experience with true micro guides has been no significant gain in performance and possible loss of durability. With a quality blank, they aren't needed.

I could see a size smaller on the new Gen2 but I love the rod as is.
IMG_20150918_7941.jpg
IMG_20150918_7941.jpg (47.83 KiB) Viewed 5583 times

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:24 am

Gain in casting performance isn't what makes them shine. It's the weight of #3's that I like. I've built several rods using Microsoft different applications. Passing knots would be the only hindrance I've seen. Using heavy line though isn't a problem. Just my personal preference and I can see why a company might use 4's or 4.5's to have the micro look and some benefits while still appealing to a broader market. That's the difference between a custom and factory rod.

Demoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Demoman » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:56 am

RMCatchNrelease wrote:I prefer the mid sized guides. The lightest rod im my stable (6'5" 2.75oz) has mid sized titanium SiC guides. My real world experience with true micro guides has been no significant gain in performance and possible loss of durability. With a quality blank, they aren't needed.

I could see a size smaller on the new Gen2 but I love the rod as is.
IMG_20150918_7941.jpg
Good god man! That is a stud of a bass!!