Muse rods?

Questions regarding an existing product from 13 Fishing? Talk directly to an official representative!
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Muse rods?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:19 pm

13Fishing wrote:Really quick on the Archangel, as I had a heads up this morning in the booth about a thread on here (guys at ICAST love you crazies, by the way...they really do notice).

The series will start at $650, range up towards $725. They are built off the new MR70 from Mitsubishi Rayon with a process called Zonal Design Theory, more to come later on that. It does have all the bells and whistles and it can feel a fish fart, as someone wondered. It really is a functioning piece of art.

I'll be back to give details, pictures, and maybe even one of them away (on fb or twitter).

Jim
If you're going to do a give away, you should do it right here. At least that way you know it will be in the hands of someone who will truly appreciate it :big grin:

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:07 am

Jim or Matt,

First awesome products. We have seen little on the Muse series can you tell us more about them like specs, price and release date.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:38 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDmiGS_LGGY

Same blank technology (wrapping, etc.) as the archangel rods apparently. Look like awesome rods!

Congoman775
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Congoman775 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:05 am

They look SICK !!!!

13, will we see the price/models here at Icast?

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:38 am

Yep, the Muse looks like a very nice rod. I'm guessing the "Gold" series will be for Walleye and Smallie jigging/etc and the "Black" series will be for Black Bass fishing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSlq_QAYlMc

DaveJ

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:47 pm

So will Cabela's be carrying these? Haven't bought an Envy yet because I haven't been able to handle one. I'd love to be able to get one in my hands before dropping the cash.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:12 pm

sarcazmo wrote:So will Cabela's be carrying these? Haven't bought an Envy yet because I haven't been able to handle one. I'd love to be able to get one in my hands before dropping the cash.
I really doubt it, but that would be cool. Never seen much outside of Abu, Shimano, G Loomis, St. Croix., and house brand stuff for rods at my local Cabelas :roll:

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 13Fishing » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:04 pm

Cabela's 13 Fishing selection is growing, its way to early to know if they will carry the Muse...but the rod would be perfect for many of their locations!

Matt
13 Fishing

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:43 am

Matt can you comment any more about blank differences between the Muse and Archangel?

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 13Fishing » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:54 am

sarcazmo wrote:Matt can you comment any more about blank differences between the Muse and Archangel?
I've got ya, no worries.

The difference in the MUSE and Archangel are in quality of graphite and components. Not to say the MUSE is poor quality, far from it in fact. We've been calling it (or maybe it's just me) the "baby Archangel" for good reason, as it excels in sensitivity and overall ergonomic/aesthetic design. It really is a sexy, turbo sensitive, fish fighting beast.

The Archangel is constructed of Mitsubishi Rayon's highest end sporting industry graphite, called MR70. You can pop around the internet and check out the specs, it's nothing short of amazing. Been the most enjoyable graphite I've designed a rod with, and if any of you knew my history that would probably mean something :lol: But, you'll just have to take my word for that until you can palm one of these babies. Just feels different, almost exotic in the way it handles it's business. Beyond that, you get Ti/Tz, custom Fuji seats hot off their factory floor in uber paint 10,000 finish, highest grade EVA and corks we are able to track down...it's the most functional and American/JDM piece we could create.

The 'baby Archangel' or MUSE, is built from a 36 Ton base blank, Mitsubishi Rayon fiber (we find them to be more sensitive than Toray when building our latest designs), Kigan SiC and a similar sleek and ergonomic handle design (more full grip), with what we call in the industry a 75 degree EVA (hardness and quality measure) and a 3A cork (think out of 4A then Floor grade).

Both are constructed using what we call Zonal Design Theory. Basically, breaking the blank down into thirds and focusing on each section as it's own, to create a better whole. Both use a hex-axial pattern in the back 1/3 for power, linear pattern layout for a truer taper in the mid section, and the higher modulus graphite of the blend towards the tip (think more 36T or MR70) for increased sensitivity. The overall result is a better tool on the water. More balanced than anything I've ever seen or created, and far more sensitive. Takes the idea of a the same old mandrel pattern, press it down hard one time, and throws it out the window...as each section gets the attention it deserves.

To sum up this novel: They are built with similar design theories, but obviously differ in the quality of components and materials. Both sticks are out of this world, and will hang in their price points without any issue.

On a side-note, someone tell the guy in the thread that calls us "pups on the lawn," not to forget who signed him up with the brand next to his name. :lol: :whistle: :big grin:

By the way, you guys on this board came up so many times at ICAST it was border line unreal. We may have to fly a few of you down next year, so that we can stop answering all the questions about what you want!

Thanks,
Jim

And one more thing, because it's Friday and we are playing for Clearwater Softball Friday Night D League World Domination this evening, and that puts me in a good mood...I'll push the guys to launch the MUSE in March (it will be plenty ready), and Cabela's will be carrying that. Along with the baits...I mean... :-$ [-X :whistle:

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:22 am

Baits, interesting. Hard baits or soft plastics?

Will there be a bait casting finesse rod in the Muse series?

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 13Fishing » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:33 am

JWR075 wrote:Baits, interesting. Hard baits or soft plastics?

Will there be a bait casting finesse rod in the Muse series?

While I suppose it's my call, Matt is threatening to kill me as he doesn't want to field all the calls for what we have coming next season. What a party pooper...

I'll just say it's sort of soft and hard, in a hard soft kind of way. You're bound to see a few things pop up in our social world soon, that seems to be our formula.

Yes, Ricky is working hard on a few finesse casting rods in the MUSE Black lineup.

Thanks,
Jim

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:42 am

Thanks for all the insight Jim. I've worked in composites my entire adult life, so I enjoy all that nerdy stuff lol. I also want to commend you for the orange blazer. You got bigger nuts than me.

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 13Fishing » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:40 am

tywithay wrote:Thanks for all the insight Jim. I've worked in composites my entire adult life, so I enjoy all that nerdy stuff lol. I also want to commend you for the orange blazer. You got bigger nuts than me.
What's an adult life? :big grin: I figure all of us on here are passionate enough to admit we refuse to grow up. After all, when given a choice of anything to do for the day, 99% of us would chase fish around with plastic worms . And when I watch my two year old do that, I realize in our adult life, it's the same thing...just fancier worms.

And I agree, composites are fun. On the adult life topic, it feels like a grown up version of Playdoh, and whatever you're able to find under the cabinet to cut it with.

As for the jacket, we are rolling with a theory around here. I wear something "bold" on Wednesday, just in case we figure out how to win one of those awards one day...must be a trick to them. That way, I get to cross the stage in front of everyone like we're going to a party. Seems like a sound strategy! :lol:

Thanks,
Jim

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:09 am

So the muse is price between the omen and the envy still? Do you think the envy will be updated in the future to contain this zonal tech too?