Envy Black and Gander GSX Elite

Questions regarding an existing product from 13 Fishing? Talk directly to an official representative!
Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Envy Black and Gander GSX Elite

Post by Bass1980 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:26 pm

There has been many discussions about the 40 ton Japanese toray blanks used in the Gander Mountain GSX Elite rod. Some people believe it is the exact same blank with the Omen guides. Some people say the balance is not even close the the Envy. Some people say even though it uses 40 ton graphite it is not the same quality.

Can you shed some light into the differences and once and for all silence the confusion. Also is it correct that 13 Fishing builds the GSX rods for Gander?

I have fished both and it does not even seem like the same rod at all. The Envy is head and shoulders a better rod than the GSX from balance to sensitivity and more. Well at least I hope my mind is not playing tricks on me. :lol:

Thanks.

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Envy Black and Gander GSX Elite

Post by 13Fishing » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:03 pm

Thank you for the great question.

The Gander Mountain GSX Elite rod IS produced by us. In my opinion it is a incredible rod for the money, and many anglers should consider this option if they are looking for a rod in the $100-150 price range.

Now lets discuss the differences. When a manufacturer builds a rod with 30, 40 or any listed Ton Carbon material it does not mean that that material is 100% of the rod blank. If you made a rod out of 100% 40 Ton Toray it would break like a matchstick....these Carbon materials are a composite with other materials. The Envy and the GSX Elite have the same base 40 ton material but in much different percentages and are two distinctly different rods. Anyone who has felt both side by side will notice the difference instantly. The Envy Rods are lighter, are custom balanced at our facility, and have upgraded components. It is unfair to compare the two rods because the Envy is 225.00+ and the GSX Elite retails between $100-150 depending on the desire of Gander Mountain.

Thanks for the question
13 Fishing

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:20 pm

Thank you for the fast response! That is why I'll keep buying more Omens and Envys because of great product and customer service! Now just waiting for lefty Concept Reels :)

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:37 am

While you're explaining rod design, can you tell me why it seems to be hard to build a rod with and extra fast tip and a solid backbone, like a 734 cef? In your Black Omen $100 line, most of the heavy rods say fast tip, except the 7/11 heavy.
Is it difficult, and therefore more expensive, to transition from a flexible tip to a beefy backbone without making the rod fragile?

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 13Fishing » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:49 am

Mark,

Thank you for the question, it is NOT impossible...but it is difficult to build the blank you are describing. Many manufacturers would not consider building this action because it would be hard to make the tip durable enough. The lower section of the rod would contribute to lots of tip breakage.

Ok, now that I have answered that...I highly suggest that you take a close look at our Heavy actions. The tips are faster than most, and I believe that they have as flexible tip section as anything available. I think our heavy actions are among our best actions. They are extremely versatile and balanced, our H action isn't a broomstick...it was designed to have massive power but still be able to cast.

13 Fishing

mark poulson wrote:While you're explaining rod design, can you tell me why it seems to be hard to build a rod with and extra fast tip and a solid backbone, like a 734 cef? In your Black Omen $100 line, most of the heavy rods say fast tip, except the 7/11 heavy.
Is it difficult, and therefore more expensive, to transition from a flexible tip to a beefy backbone without making the rod fragile?

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:00 am

Thanks. I'll check out the heavy.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:53 am

I second that, the Heavy Envy's have a ridiculous power to tip proposition. I find the Omens are a little slower.
Tuck the butt of the 7'11" under your armpit, hold the reel and try to flex the blank a foot ahead of the seat. Beefy, beefy beefy! But that sweet little tip just makes it so versatile!