Understanding Proprietary vs. OEM products

Questions regarding an existing product from 13 Fishing? Talk directly to an official representative!
13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Understanding Proprietary vs. OEM products

Post by 13Fishing » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:08 am

We have read all the forums, the rumors, and the speculation about not only our products but many new products hitting the market. We think that most anglers do not fully understand how fishing tackle is manufactured. I think the information below will shed some light on the subject and give forum users a better understanding.

Virtually every manufacturer in the fishing tackle industry uses multiple manufacturing facilities across the globe. With very few exceptions these facilities are NOT owned by the tackle manufacturers and they use these facilities on a contractual basis. We use dozens of factories, some of the largest tackle manufacturers in the world use many many more. I don't know of any major manufacturer that doesn't use contracted facilities.

OEM-These facilities develop their own "in house" designs that can be purchased and branded as needed. Small changes can be made to modify these existing designs, but the tooling is owned by the facility and not by the manufacturer. In some cases the tooling can be purchased by the tackle manufacturer for worldwide exclusivity, or a contract can be made to give the tackle manufacturer exclusivity in different countries.

PROPRIETARY-A proprietary design is something completely different, it is a design-idea born directly from the designers/engineers of the tackle manufacturer. It is a privately owned idea, and the tooling is purchased at great expense by the manufacturer to create the product. These designs are all developed, tested, and modified at the expense of the tackle manufacturer. These designs are still produced in many of the same facilities, and it is quite common to share some basic components like screws, or springs between brands to help make the product easier to produce by the facility. It is also common that the manufacturer work closely with the "in house" engineering team of the facility to help perfect specific design ideas as they work to produce the finished product. Our 13 Fishing products are proprietary designs.

It is extremely common for multiple manufacturers to use the same facilities, some facilities produce products for dozens of different tackle brands, this is common for reels and even more common for rods.

Matt
13 Fishing

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Understanding Proprietary vs. OEM products

Post by africanbass » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:57 am

Great info,thanks :D

justgopen
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by justgopen » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:47 pm

Good information, thanks for the background. Hope to see more cool stuff from you guys, I'm enjoying my OBC73M!

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 13Fishing » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:45 pm

Thank you for supporting 13 Fishing, we appreciate it....and can't wait to show you the new stuff for ICAST 2014. It wont be long!

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:15 am

So Matt,

You guys own the dies and patterns to fit on their presses?
Did the manufacturers give 13 design constraints in regards to geometries or location of functional parts?

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 13Fishing » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:44 am

Mcyl,

I certainly can't list what we do and do not own, that is a question you can discuss with ownership when you purchase our company....lol.

as far as constraints go, we are constrained by only the materials we use...materials have design and strength limitations. We have no other limitations except our imagination. The manufacturing facility doesn't inhibit our designs, if they did we would find another facility. Our design philosophy is very simple. Use great materials, produce the product the angler wants, and deliver it in a affordable great looking design. We aren't trying to add flashing lights, a 12 speed gearing system, or a bunch of features anglers don't need or could potentially break. We are trying to build a classic design that fits perfectly in your hand, casts effortlessly, and has the features needed to do the job with ease. A fishing reel is a tool to help you enjoy fishing. That is what we aim to deliver....and we want it to look damn good also.

13 Fishing

Unread postby Mcyl » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:15 am
So Matt,

Did the manufacturers give 13 design constraints in regards to geometries or location of functional parts?

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:14 am

That's awesome to have such freedom to create. I think many an automotive R&D team would kill to have that.

: I've been following with interest the patent wars between Apple and android based smartphone mfgs especially Samsung. It looks like in this decade, owning rights to IP, data and services out trumps any physical asset!

P.S Tampa certainly looks like an awesome place to live/work!

13Fishing wrote:Mcyl,

I certainly can't list what we do and do not own, that is a question you can discuss with ownership when you purchase our company....lol.

as far as constraints go, we are constrained by only the materials we use...materials have design and strength limitations. We have no other limitations except our imagination. The manufacturing facility doesn't inhibit our designs, if they did we would find another facility. Our design philosophy is very simple. Use great materials, produce the product the angler wants, and deliver it in a affordable great looking design. We aren't trying to add flashing lights, a 12 speed gearing system, or a bunch of features anglers don't need or could potentially break. We are trying to build a classic design that fits perfectly in your hand, casts effortlessly, and has the features needed to do the job with ease. A fishing reel is a tool to help you enjoy fishing. That is what we aim to deliver....and we want it to look damn good also.

13 Fishing

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 13Fishing » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:36 pm

Tampa is a great place to work. Other than the added difficultly of shipping products to Tampa, I do not see why more tackle companies don't consider Florida. We have the perfect weather to test products in both salt and freshwater year round.

Matt
13 Fishing

[quote="Mcyl"]That's awesome to have such freedom to create. I think many an automotive R&D team would kill to have that.

: I've been following with interest the patent wars between Apple and android based smartphone mfgs especially Samsung. It looks like in this decade, owning rights to IP, data and services out trumps any physical asset!

P.S Tampa certainly looks like an awesome place to live/work!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:12 pm

13Fishing wrote:Thank you for supporting 13 Fishing, we appreciate it....and can't wait to show you the new stuff for ICAST 2014. It wont be long!
Ha! July is like 3 years away 8-[

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:19 am

13Fishing wrote:We have read all the forums, the rumors, and the speculation about not only our products but many new products hitting the market. We think that most anglers do not fully understand how fishing tackle is manufactured. I think the information below will shed some light on the subject and give forum users a better understanding.

Virtually every manufacturer in the fishing tackle industry uses multiple manufacturing facilities across the globe. With very few exceptions these facilities are NOT owned by the tackle manufacturers and they use these facilities on a contractual basis. We use dozens of factories, some of the largest tackle manufacturers in the world use many many more. I don't know of any major manufacturer that doesn't use contracted facilities.

OEM-These facilities develop their own "in house" designs that can be purchased and branded as needed. Small changes can be made to modify these existing designs, but the tooling is owned by the facility and not by the manufacturer. In some cases the tooling can be purchased by the tackle manufacturer for worldwide exclusivity, or a contract can be made to give the tackle manufacturer exclusivity in different countries.

PROPRIETARY-A proprietary design is something completely different, it is a design-idea born directly from the designers/engineers of the tackle manufacturer. It is a privately owned idea, and the tooling is purchased at great expense by the manufacturer to create the product. These designs are all developed, tested, and modified at the expense of the tackle manufacturer. These designs are still produced in many of the same facilities, and it is quite common to share some basic components like screws, or springs between brands to help make the product easier to produce by the facility. It is also common that the manufacturer work closely with the "in house" engineering team of the facility to help perfect specific design ideas as they work to produce the finished product. Our 13 Fishing products are proprietary designs.

It is extremely common for multiple manufacturers to use the same facilities, some facilities produce products for dozens of different tackle brands, this is common for reels and even more common for rods.

Matt
13 Fishing
you pretty much just explained my place of employment lol. the place i work builds battery chargers. the line i work on builds industrial chargers, some with our brand, some with others. although all are similar, certain specs/spec numbers are specific to certain companies we sell to.

we have 2 other lines that build for a specific company, with some of the parts shipped in to us, and other parts such as metal cases and transformers built in-house. these are proprietary designs of the contracting company and not ours. our company doesn't have any chargers that are similar to these, although they are built by us every day.