early Daiwa whisker kevlar match 12'

Questions regarding an existing Daiwa product? Talk directly to an official representative from Daiwa!
jimmythefish
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

early Daiwa whisker kevlar match 12'

Post by jimmythefish » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:54 pm

Hi guys, i have taken possession of the above rod, lightest rod i have owned, i have had strokes so needed a very light rod to be able to carry on doing my river trotting.
The rod has one eye missing on the tip section and i would like to know if anyone can help as to what guides they are so i can try too get one that is original.

Thanks for any help

Jim

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: early Daiwa whisker kelvar match 12'

Post by Bronzeye » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:20 pm

I bought two Daiwa Kevlar rods for bass fishing in about 1985. They were quite different than the match rods, but since you wrote "early," they might have used the same guide ring material. My Kevlars have guide rings made of metal, which Daiwa called "Dynaflow" guides; they were proprietary to Daiwa, and Daiwa stopped using them after several years. If you are looking for an exact replacement, your best bet would be a rod builder who has been doing that for three decades--or maybe a TT member reading this has a broken tip in the back of his closet and could send you the guide you need. Otherwise, there are several manufacturers of fairly durable metal-ring guides now; the SS304 guides used on many Berkley and Fenwick rods are examples. Good luck!

jimmythefish
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: early Daiwa whisker kevlar match 12'

Post by jimmythefish » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:24 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Bronzeye, much appreciated.

Jim