Daiwa SV spool stuck rotor

Questions regarding an existing Daiwa product? Talk directly to an official representative from Daiwa!
smallykiller
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa SV spool stuck rotor

Post by smallykiller » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:33 am

I just bought Daiwa SS SV to try out the new SV spool. It seems I have the same issue many have had with the spool brake rotor sticking in outer most position. This has happened to my reel just test casting, not even fishing yet. I was browsing web for related issues and found the following link addressing the issue. I will try the fix and report back. First time Daiwa engineering has let me down. Hope they issue a recall. Not real happy about this.
http://kenken-020412.blogspot.com/2013/ ... edy_3.html

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa SV spool stuck rotor

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:10 am

smallykiller wrote:I just bought Daiwa SS SV to try out the new SV spool. It seems I have the same issue many have had with the spool brake rotor sticking in outer most position. This has happened to my reel just test casting, not even fishing yet. I was browsing web for related issues and found the following link addressing the issue. I will try the fix and report back. First time Daiwa engineering has let me down. Hope they issue a recall. Not real happy about this.
http://kenken-020412.blogspot.com/2013/ ... edy_3.html
If you are interested in trading the SS SV spool for a TDZ 103H or maybe Steez 103HA spool let me know via PM.

DaveJ

smallykiller
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by smallykiller » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:29 pm

Ummmmmm......no. I'll figure out how to fix it.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:44 pm

In that case, the inductor is a lot taller on the SS spools compared to other SV inductors. I think this tames the spool too much and also causes more force on the inductor which can get it stuck... Just a theory.

I was going to remove the inductor and slowly wet sand the outside rim down on a set of flat sharpening stones. Hopefully this would solve the problem and increase performance at the same time.

DaveJ

smallykiller
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by smallykiller » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:11 am

I took mine apart and the bottom plastic retainer that the rotor rides on was slightly damaged on one of the ramps. I believe it's the same issue as in the link I provided above. The rotor extends out on a sharp cast and gets lodged in between the spool shaft and the plastic retainer. It appears this excessive tolerance and gap on the ramp is the issue. The marred edge of the plastic seems to be caused by this and is now making the issue worse. I only casted this reel about 20 times total when first discovered. The bottom plastic retainer with the plastic ramps is not manufactured or designed correctly. I now need to find contact info for Daiwa Japan to discuss.