Daiwa: Best Customer Service - Toby

Questions regarding an existing Daiwa product? Talk directly to an official representative from Daiwa!
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Daiwa: Best Customer Service - Toby

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:28 am

I have had the pleasure of dealing with Toby a couple of times over the phone. He is great to work with. He returns calls when he says he will. He also actually does his best to solve whatever problem you may have. I see he is the primary poster for Daiwa here on Tackle Tour.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa: Best Customer Service - Toby

Post by Johnny A » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:35 pm

Yup. I don't believe I've ever heard him sound surly either.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:12 am

I have been calling Daiwa lately and keep getting this clueless gal who doesn't know what she is talking about nor returns calls when she says she will find the answer. Anyone know how to get a hold of Toby directly?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:15 am

I don't know his EXT but I get pretty lucky and usually get him. I got that woman one time and nothing got done. Toby all the way.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:05 am

Toby is great. I ordered a few parts on Monday and I wasn't on the phone more than five minutes. I had a conversation about parts with a female (probably the one mentioned earlier) a few weeks ago and she didn't give me much help.

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:20 pm

Finnz922 wrote:I have been calling Daiwa lately and keep getting this clueless gal who doesn't know what she is talking about nor returns calls when she says she will find the answer. Anyone know how to get a hold of Toby directly?
There could be more than one gal...probably is. The one I got the other day went above and beyond, even sourced me an inductor spring for my TD100M spool that they don't even sell. Called me back the following day with the part, shipped it, and never charged me a dime.

Shimano's service is good/alright. Daiwa's has been exceptional. At least to me.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:10 pm

He's great, I get him all the time when i call the parts dept..

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:29 am

Props to Daiwa because Toby helped my order get here in two days, but $11 for a 3"x3" box that weighs less than 3 ounces? They should use the soft pack envelopes and charge less for shipping. Just a suggestion.

Real Legg Legend
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Real Legg Legend » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:38 am

been to daiwa a few times for over the counter exchanges and Toby was great to deal with. gotta say daiwa's customer services is so much better than shimano's. every time i would go to shimano they would look at me(and others) as if our returns were suspect!

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:53 am

Shimano Canada has been a pleasure to deal with.

But that is going to the depot in Peterborough and dealing with them face to face.

Real Legg Legend
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Real Legg Legend » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:32 am

SteveSchmelzle wrote:Shimano Canada has been a pleasure to deal with.

But that is going to the depot in Peterborough and dealing with them face to face.
my mistake, i was talking about the shimano in irvine, ca.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:55 am

Real Legg Legend wrote:been to daiwa a few times for over the counter exchanges and Toby was great to deal with. gotta say daiwa's customer services is so much better than shimano's. every time i would go to shimano they would look at me(and others) as if our returns were suspect!
I did a lot of reel repair/tuning for a Turner's Outdoorsman (chain of outdoors/tackle shops) her in SoCal in the early 90's. Shimano was good to deal with when they were smaller back then, but Daiwa has always been the best. Both companies U.S. headquarters were within a few minutes of me when I lived in Irvine.
I raced mountain bikes in the late 90's and all of the people I knew at the Shimano headquarters were gone by then. Shimano treated me terribly when I took a mountain bike part and also a fishing reel in to the headquarters in the the early 2000's. They said I had to go through a local shop. I felt like a suicide bomber because they rushed me out of the lobby so quick. This isn't the only reason I fish Daiwa, but it makes a difference.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:29 pm

I got a hold of Toby the other day... Finally. Top notch customer service as usual.

I had been looking for the Daiwa Tatula Type HD handle to see if it would match the my two Zillion 50ths. It doesn't, ](*,) . It is a little more of a raw aluminum color with a bluish hue to it. It looks okay with the Zillion R drag star but still not an exact match. I have another on back order and will put it on my TDZ 103H. The one I have is on my TDZ 100M. At 100mm it makes for a great cranking handle and is very comfortable.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:58 am

Finnz922 wrote:I got a hold of Toby the other day... Finally. Top notch customer service as usual.

I had been looking for the Daiwa Tatula Type HD handle to see if it would match the my two Zillion 50ths. It doesn't, ](*,) . It is a little more of a raw aluminum color with a bluish hue to it. It looks okay with the Zillion R drag star but still not an exact match. I have another on back order and will put it on my TDZ 103H. The one I have is on my TDZ 100M. At 100mm it makes for a great cranking handle and is very comfortable.
I'm waiting for Daiwa to get in the new AIRD 90mm silver handle to put on my USDM Zillions. I'll add a second bearing and new knobs. Daiwa just got up the part numbers for this new AIRD reel and the handle on their site looks like a lighter silver than any of their other handles, but it's not 100mm. I think they told me the cost would only be about $16. I'll let you know how it looks on my 50th that also has a Type R star when I get a few.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:49 am

toddmc wrote:
Finnz922 wrote:I got a hold of Toby the other day... Finally. Top notch customer service as usual.

I'm waiting for Daiwa to get in the new AIRD 90mm silver handle to put on my USDM Zillions. I'll add a second bearing and new knobs. Daiwa just got up the part numbers for this new AIRD reel and the handle on their site looks like a lighter silver than any of their other handles, but it's not 100mm. I think they told me the cost would only be about $16. I'll let you know how it looks on my 50th that also has a Type R star when I get a few.
Let me know. Thanks :D