Zillion Issue.

Questions regarding an existing Daiwa product? Talk directly to an official representative from Daiwa!
PCSnooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Zillion Issue.

Post by PCSnooker » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:35 am

So my zillion type r somehow managed to try to engage the spool mid cast, not sure how or why could have been user error, but the spool pin has marred the corners of the pinion gear a bit, and it now makes a whirring noise on the retrieve. I'm suspecting that the pinion bearing on the palm side has sustained a bit of damage as well. Recommendations?

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Zillion Issue.

Post by Afrayedknot » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:10 pm

New pinion gear and maybe even main gear if a few of the teeth are shot on it.

Eric Walsh
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Eric Walsh » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:15 pm

I have this very same problem with my Z200H, shortly after the casting motion, the spool re-engages and it sounds like
the reel comes to a grinding halt. After replacing a damaged pinion gear and spool pin, same issue plagues the reel. I am
going to send it off to Ian and see if he can work some magic. [-o<

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:14 pm

Always replace the gears in sets another words main gear and pinion should be replaced together. On the other hand sending it to Ian is absolutely the best thing you can do, he's a master craftsman if anyone can get it working right he can!

PCSnooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PCSnooker » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:03 pm

Eric Walsh wrote:I have this very same problem with my Z200H, shortly after the casting motion, the spool re-engages and it sounds like
the reel comes to a grinding halt. After replacing a damaged pinion gear and spool pin, same issue plagues the reel. I am
going to send it off to Ian and see if he can work some magic. [-o<
So I went ahead and replaced the bent spool pin, gearset, and threw in a few boca os's while I was at it only to have it do it to me again, several times. There must be something awry with the reel. I've never experienced anything like it. Thinking possibly one or both of the springs associated with the clutch mech may not be as strong as it should be allowing the momentum of the cast to flick it back in gear. What would be the best course of action at this point? Who is this Ian you speak of?

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:46 am

PCSnooker wrote:Who is this Ian you speak of?
Ian goes by e_bassfisher on the forums. Haven't dealt with him personally, but looking at his posts and people's recommendations, he is a wealth of knowledge.

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redfish » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:37 pm

Ian is a whiz at working on Daiwa reels. Send it to him and he will figure out what is wrong. Helluva nice guy too.