TWS Grooving

Questions regarding an existing Daiwa product? Talk directly to an official representative from Daiwa!
MrEddyG
Angler
Angler

Confirmed Tatula WTS Grooving

Post by MrEddyG » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:31 pm

I have a Tatula 100HS and can confirm grooving on the TWS. I have been using the reel since March. Lines used BPS XPS Flourocarbon KVDSignature 14LB (New BPS Flouro), Berkley Trilene XT 15LB, P-Line C21 15LB and Power Pro Braid 50LB. After reading some of the posts today about this I decided to take a close look at mine. I can take a wooden tooth pick across the sections and it does get caught there. I will be contacting Daiwa about this. Not trying to cause problems, it really happened to my reel. I will try to keep up to date with response from Daiwa.
Here are pictures.

MrEddyG
Angler
Angler

TWS Grooving

Post by MrEddyG » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:38 pm

I decided to look closely at my reel after reading about grooving and I can confirm grooving in the TWS. Lines used since starting using reel in March, BPS Flouro 14 LB, Trilene XT 15 LB, Pline C21 15 LB and Power Pro 50LB.
Will be contacting Daiwa. I made a post on the reel forum also.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Confirmed Tatula WTS Grooving

Post by 389Maverick » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:46 pm

Thanks for the pics....Keep us updated.

ctgalloway21
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ctgalloway21 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:14 pm

I actually looked at mine last night and it was still perfect. weird. I will keep an eye on mine for sure.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:32 pm

Bummer. Daiwa should take care of you. They might have to redesign the Tatula TWing to have a roller bearing on it somehow.

DaveJ

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: TWS Grooving

Post by H8R » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:37 pm

And the other shoe is dropping! I'm sure big D will handle this for you!

MrEddyG
Angler
Angler

Post by MrEddyG » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:42 pm

I was reading through the other threads. A common denominator I am seeing is Seaguar Flouro. The new BPS in the Purple and yellow box is made by Seaguar. I tried it out for a while and got rid of it because is was not as good as the original. You could feel the line binding on itself as the knot was pulled tight before cinch and that is with copious amount of wetting. I wonder. My daughter has a Tatula and I will look at hers as she has never used Flouro. Also I notice that my 2 groves that I have match the video in the locked thread and Dr_Bass picture, looking exactly alike. I saw someone say maybe bad die??? Again, will let you know what Daiwa says. I know they will fix and I am happy for that because I really like this reel.

MrEddyG
Angler
Angler

Post by MrEddyG » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:43 pm

Other shoe dropping???????

MrEddyG
Angler
Angler

Post by MrEddyG » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:52 pm

OK My 2 grooves match the other photos way to close. I am thinking bad die in the manufacturing and not all parts were caught. I used to work in injection molding and when a bad lot parts came up some would always slip through. Waiting on Daiwa to open to call.

MrEddyG
Angler
Angler

Post by MrEddyG » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:32 am

Just talked to Daiwa, packing it up to ship. Will let you know the outcome.

MrEddyG
Angler
Angler

Post by MrEddyG » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:43 am

Does anyone know what turn around time is from Daiwa? Shipping from Chicago.

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:14 am

The metal used in that part must be the softest of all time for fluorocarbon under normal tension to cause it to groove. If the metal is grooving, would love to see what the line looks like.

Hopefully, Daiwa will tell us this is just another internet legend.

MrEddyG
Angler
Angler

Post by MrEddyG » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:29 am

3 pictures from 3 different sources of the exact same thing? Do not know what you mean about legend but on my reel the grooves are for real. Again if you read the entire thread, I believe there was a manufacturing issue and the grooves were there since I bought it brand new and this part was one of the few that made it past containment.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:14 am

MrEddyG wrote:I was reading through the other threads. A common denominator I am seeing is Seaguar Flouro. The new BPS in the Purple and yellow box is made by Seaguar. I tried it out for a while and got rid of it because is was not as good as the original. You could feel the line binding on itself as the knot was pulled tight before cinch and that is with copious amount of wetting. I wonder. My daughter has a Tatula and I will look at hers as she has never used Flouro. Also I notice that my 2 groves that I have match the video in the locked thread and Dr_Bass picture, looking exactly alike. I saw someone say maybe bad die??? Again, will let you know what Daiwa says. I know they will fix and I am happy for that because I really like this reel.
Someone should experiment a bit with those seaguar lines.. Seems like invisx and red label are causing all the issues

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:29 am

Well, I can believe the grooves were there when you purchased the new reel. Anything can get past quality control checks.

I have a problem with fluorocarbon lines grooving a metal part in a fishing reel under normal tension levels. I have seen lines, not fluorocarbons, groove the guides on a fishing rod but it took extreme circumstances, longer time frames and the line was equally damaged.