T3 worm gear drive gear difference.

Questions regarding an existing Daiwa product? Talk directly to an official representative from Daiwa!
PCSnooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

T3 worm gear drive gear difference.

Post by PCSnooker » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:28 am

So I was into the t3s tonight to add a shim the the drive shaft and noticed that one of the drive gears for the worm gear was plastic and one looks to be aluminum. Was there a change in materials at some point?

PCSnooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: T3 worm gear drive gear difference.

Post by PCSnooker » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:32 am

Nothin huh... I'll snap a picture the next time I get into them. The gears on the worm shaft are definately of two different materials in two reels. Any chance they put the wrong part in one? seems to me the aluminum gear would be of higher quality than a plastic one.

Daiwa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Daiwa » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:32 am

I do apologize for the late response to this post. I was talking to the service department and they told me that the gears we have are the plastic nylon type. I know our reels that have a levelwind system, there is a gear or connection that is that nylon pastic material. I believe they have this for safety reasons. If your finger were to get stuck in the levelwind this gear will give.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:26 am

PCSnooker wrote:Nothin huh... I'll snap a picture the next time I get into them. The gears on the worm shaft are definately of two different materials in two reels. Any chance they put the wrong part in one? seems to me the aluminum gear would be of higher quality than a plastic one.
I know this is a little late, but... Is the T3 with the aluminum gear a JDM model? My JDM T3 uses an aluminum gear, and I believe I've read somewhere that this is one the differences b/w the two markets.

PCSnooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PCSnooker » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:17 pm

They're both the usdm t3 1016. I haven't noticed any difference in performance regardless and my t3's are still my favorite reels for smaller top waters and jerkbaits. They are amazing casters and just feel "right" for the applications I'm using them for.