Lateral play in t3 drive shaft assembly.

Questions regarding an existing Daiwa product? Talk directly to an official representative from Daiwa!
PCSnooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Lateral play in t3 drive shaft assembly.

Post by PCSnooker » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:33 am

Both of my t3's and my zillion coastal have a small amount of lateral play in the handle assembly and I'm thinking either another thin shim or one thicker shim would potentially resolve this issue. Are shims readily available and where could I purchase them?

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Lateral play in t3 drive shaft assembly.

Post by Afrayedknot » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:49 am

I remember seeing a post earlier this year about this.

The way to fix it that I saw was to take plastic from clam style plastic packaging, and cut a circle out of it the size of the drive shaft. Put that under the drive shaft, and the movement goes away.

Daiwa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Daiwa » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:55 am

There is a small washer at the very bottom of the drive shaft. This washer is going to be felt or copper. If the washer is felt you need to replace that washer, if the washer is copper all you have to do is flip it over and the littel bit fo play should go away.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:24 am

See the solution in http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=54175

This seems to be an issue with some Daiwa reels, but not all.

PCSnooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PCSnooker » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:57 am

Daiwa wrote:There is a small washer at the very bottom of the drive shaft. This washer is going to be felt or copper. If the washer is felt you need to replace that washer, if the washer is copper all you have to do is flip it over and the littel bit fo play should go away.
The washers/ spacers in my t3's appear to be stainless steel, and don't have any noticeable wear. Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm going to fab up a couple plastic spacers and put them under the stainless one to move them out just a touch.

PCSnooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PCSnooker » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:08 am

Afrayedknot wrote:I remember seeing a post earlier this year about this.

The way to fix it that I saw was to take plastic from clam style plastic packaging, and cut a circle out of it the size of the drive shaft. Put that under the drive shaft, and the movement goes away.
Thanks for the tip. It worked beautifully and has resolved the only gripe I had with the t3s. They feel wonderful now. :-)