Daiwa Aird Spin Reel Maint: Remove main shaft

Questions regarding an existing Daiwa product? Talk directly to an official representative from Daiwa!
Sylvaneous
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Daiwa Aird Spin Reel Maint: Remove main shaft

Post by Sylvaneous » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:32 am

I need some expert maintenance help for my Daiwa Aird Spinning reel. I cannot see how to remove the main shaft so I can take ou the main gear and clean/lube the bearing and the back of that gear. I like Daiwa reels, but self maintenance on them is a pain and, in this case, a mystery.
Thanks for your help.
Syl

Daiwa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Daiwa Aird Spin Reel Maint: Remove main shaft

Post by Daiwa » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:27 am

Hi Syl,

To remove the main shaft you need to remove the spool, rotor, pinion gear (key no. 13) and the parts above the pinion gear (Key numbers 14-22). Once this is done you can remove the oscillating gear and main shaft through the back of the reel. On the schematic it is key number 10 (the main shaft and oscillating gear are one piece). Here is a link to view the schematic on line
http://www.daiwa.com/Documents/PartsDia ... 4000SH.pdf
If you are still having problems removing the main shaft you can send your reel into our service departmen or any warranty center. Our address is
Daiwa Corporation
11137 Warland Drive
Cypress, Ca 90630
If you have any questions you can contact customer service toll free at 800-736-4653.

Sylvaneous
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Daiwa Aird Spin Reel Maint: Remove main shaft

Post by Sylvaneous » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:37 am

Wow, I would have never thought to have gone that way. I suppose that 's why I couldn't figure it out! Definitely different from just removing the screw from the oscillating gear and pulling the shaft out forward. I have been into the front end of a Zero-lash anti reverse reel and there are a LOT of little parts,especially Daiwas. I think maybe I'll just send it in for maintenance. If I get things backwards, I'll have to send it in anyway. Thanks for the help. Your spinning reels dominate my smallmouth tackle. There's nothing better suited for river smallies.