Tatula spool diameter

Questions regarding an existing Daiwa product? Talk directly to an official representative from Daiwa!
Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Tatula spool diameter

Post by Bronzeye » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:07 am

In the Tatula, did Daiwa keep the diameter of the spool the same as had been typical for its non-finesse low-profile spools (just under 34 mm. for the TD-Z, for example) when it widened the distance between the spool sides? Or did it move toward a lower spool diameter, more like the Shimano 200E spools?

Daiwa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Tatula spool diameter

Post by Daiwa » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:29 am

The diameter is 34mm on the Tatula but the width is wider than Zillion. We can do this because of the TWS allows less friction.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:20 pm

Thank you.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:54 am

tatula:
zillion:
hope this helps

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:16 am

21farms,

Thanks so much for going to that trouble! Very helpful pics! =D>

Looks like the Tatula spool should be almost identical to the Curado 200E7 in diameter and line-fill width, with the spool weight advantage going to the E7 (13.8 g.) and the low-friction casting advantage going to the Tatula Type R.

zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zenbassr » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:35 am

Bronzeye wrote:Looks like the Tatula spool should be almost identical to the Curado 200E7 in diameter and line-fill width, with the spool weight advantage going to the E7 (13.8 g.) and the low-friction casting advantage going to the Tatula Type R.
which is more important to casting performance, lower spool startup inertia or reduced line-out friction?

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:29 am

From what I've read on this forum--enthused reports about increased distance with the Tatula that I can't recall reading about the 200E reels--it appears so far that reduced line-out friction trumps a very slight difference in startup inertia, at least with regard to the 1/4 oz.-plus lures most use these reels for.

But maybe I'm just not remembering similar reports about the E's.

zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zenbassr » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:16 am

Bronzeye wrote:... a very slight difference in startup inertia
thanks for the reply - how is startup inertia quantified, and what are the values for the 200E and Tatula spools?

since the Tatula doesnt have free-floating spool design, i wonder how much of the gains from reduced line-out friction are negated somewhat by the friction of the Tatula spool shaft rubbing against the pinion gear bore :-k

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:55 am

Bronzeye wrote:From what I've read on this forum--enthused reports about increased distance with the Tatula that I can't recall reading about the 200E reels--it appears so far that reduced line-out friction trumps a very slight difference in startup inertia, at least with regard to the 1/4 oz.-plus lures most use these reels for.

But maybe I'm just not remembering similar reports about the E's.
hmmm. i've used my tat on two outings now...the first time with stock bearings; the second with unlubed orange seal hybrid ceramics with seals removed. i haven't noticed that much difference in casting distance compared to any of my other reels. one thing's for sure, though, and that is the tat is eerily smooth and quiet on the cast, especially with braided line. i wonder if that adds to the perception of extended distance? on long casts with my other reels, you can see, hear and feel the line zipping back and forth from across the spool through the little hole in the line guide. with the tat, that is greatly reduced. nevertheless, i have not experienced a single cast yet with the tat where i said "wow! that is really, really far!" whereas i have said that with one of my curado 200E's.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:16 am

Interesting!

Reminds me of when I moved to spinning reels with balanced rotors--at first, I thought that no more "thumping" was a no-downside improvement, but then I noticed that one of the things that helped me recreate a successful retrieve speed after catching a fish was my subconscious memory of the thumping rhythm from the last retrieve. With butter-smooth reels, that is missing, and one needs to pay more attention.

I wonder whether I'd be less adept at thumbing the reel when I need to during the cast without the sound and feel you mention as indicators to my subconscious of outgoing line speed and cast duration. Or is the Tatula's braking so good that one can achieve the distance the new line guide promises without fear of backlash (let's say when not casting into the wind)?

Daiwa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Daiwa » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:35 am

Tatula Spool diameter is the same for all models 34mm. Watch Project T Episode 3 I believe on our website www.daiwa.com.
Thanks

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:51 pm

zenbassr wrote:
Bronzeye wrote:... a very slight difference in startup inertia
thanks for the reply - how is startup inertia quantified, and what are the values for the 200E and Tatula spools?

since the Tatula doesnt have free-floating spool design, i wonder how much of the gains from reduced line-out friction are negated somewhat by the friction of the Tatula spool shaft rubbing against the pinion gear bore :-k
Here is TT's attempt at it, guess if a person has both tat and e they could do the same test.
http://tackletour.com/reviewbfsvt3airpg4.html