Login to view all forums

Shimano's Conquest 30/31HG Delivers a Joy and Enthusiasm Not Felt Since...

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal »

Introduction: In 2022, Shimano Japan introduced a shallow spool variant of their popular Metanium platform. I wasn't very interested in that model waiting instead for the update to the Metanium DC. I also didn't see any benefit to having a reel that sat between conventional and finesse applications. Then, this year, Shimano Japan did the same thing in another platform, Conquest. This time, they caught my attention because, well, it's Conquest! So onto the waiting list at JapanTackle I went, and now it's time to take a closer look at Shimano Japan's '24 Conquest Shallow Edition 30/31HG.

Complete Article: https://www.tackletour.com/reviewshiman ... est31.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano's Conquest 30/31HG Delivers a Joy and Enthusiasm Not Felt Since...

Post by Hogsticker2 »

This is my 1st Shimano reel since they changed braking systems. By no means is it because I have anything against Shimano, my preference has just been Daiwa. I thoroughly enjoy this reel so much, I bought two of them. That's not something I can say about any other reel I've owned. Sure, I have numerous Steez models, but not any two of the exact same.
This Conquest feels like a little precision machine. That's how it sounds on every cast. You can just hear it go to work. My 1st round reel if you can believe that... After all these years. I'm amazed how incredibly comfortable it feels in my palm. Coupled with a comfy reel seat, it's pretty amazing. A total joy to fish with. So much fun.
A handful of my Daiwa reels over the years have been over braked. The remedy is a spool swap, granted you can find the right spool, but that's why I find so much enjoyment with Daiwa reels. That plus all the possible mods of course. That being said, this Conquest seems like it might be a tad under braked. Or perhaps I'm just not use to it. I'm typically fishing it with all 4 blocks on, and the external dial at max. I don't have any issues with moderately weighted, aerodynamic baits. It's when I tie on a quarter ounce spinnerbait, a lighter jerkbait, etc. It tends to fluff up, right towards the end of the cast. While it doesn't always happen, it can also overun on me a bit. It seems to be getting a little better with more usage. I avoid really ripping it because of this unfortunately.
So is this what I can expect from other Shimano reels... Such as the newest Metanium - non DC version? Is the performance similar? This Conquest flat out gets after it. Tie on a half ounce lipless and just wow.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange »

All my centrifugal Shimanos are like that. Come to think of it all my centrifugal reels are like that. It's just how they are. They are very free at the end of the cast and to cope with this people will often apply spool tension which is just smashing the ends of the spool shaft. Personally I like the free nature and use them only with free flowing lines like braid. They are speciality reel to me with my Daiwas being all around. The only Daiwas I put in the same specialty camp is my HLC.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 »

LowRange wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2024 8:26 pm
All my centrifugal Shimanos are like that. Come to think of it all my centrifugal reels are like that. It's just how they are. They are very free at the end of the cast and to cope with this people will often apply spool tension which is just smashing the ends of the spool shaft. Personally I like the free nature and use them only with free flowing lines like braid. They are speciality reel to me with my Daiwas being all around. The only Daiwas I put in the same specialty camp is my HLC.
Interesting. None of my older Shimano reels were like this. You would think with the external dial, you could really dial it in, but the dial doesn't seem to make much of a difference at all.
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson »

Spool tension and thumb.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 »

On your final plus and minuses of the reel, did you mean that it is slightly smaller than the 50? It said smaller than the 100, and at least from what I can tell, the new 100HG is identical to this 30. Also did by any chance ya'll have issues adjusting the brake pipe?
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 »

mark poulson wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2024 7:02 pm
Spool tension and thumb.
But what if I don't want to use my thumb? With both brake settings set to the strongest possible, one shouldn't have to utilize thumb pressure....imo
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal »

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2024 10:18 pm
It said smaller than the 100, and at least from what I can tell, the new 100HG is identical to this 30.
Did you read the entire article?
Cal, Managing Editor
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 »

Cal wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2024 2:34 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2024 10:18 pm
It said smaller than the 100, and at least from what I can tell, the new 100HG is identical to this 30.
Did you read the entire article?
I have since. Just jumped the gun when I read that first part. I own both the 100HG and 30HG, never measured and just assumed they were the same. That is a really cool find! I wish I had read further before asking, guess my confidence got the best of me. I would have thought NO WAY they'd have a difference. Now that I think about it, I think someone said the Metanium Shallow spool is slightly different also. Any info on that one versus the regular version?
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal »

DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2024 10:17 am
Any info on that one versus the regular version?
No worries.. I just assumed they were the same too but thought I'd measure just to see. No info on the Met shallow spool as I said in the article ;) .. that reel held no interest to me.
Cal, Managing Editor
evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish »

I think the TT review is what sold me on this reel and now that it’s landed, I’m impressed. This little tank of a reel feels so solid and is smooth as can be. Hopefully get to use it this weekend
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 »

evilcatfish wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 1:38 am
I think the TT review is what sold me on this reel and now that it’s landed, I’m impressed. This little tank of a reel feels so solid and is smooth as can be. Hopefully get to use it this weekend
Exactly, small, precision, solid tank, with great performance.