Peeling it Back - The BFS Shallow Spool Challenge

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:11 am

Introduction: 2024 marks my twentieth year here at TackleTour. Although my first published piece on the site was the renowned, original Daiwa Alphas casting reel, my gateway product into the world of JDM tackle was actually Shimano's Scorpion 1000. This was Shimano Japan's variant of the Curado 100b. It was burgundy instead of green, had an externally adjustable brake system, and featured an iridescent spool that was purportedly titanium coated.

At the time, that Scorpion 1000 had the early internet fishing audience reputation as being the best casting machine made due to the easy startup of that magical, iridescent spool. In fact, to prove the point of how little force was needed to get the Scorpion 1000's spool to begin rotating, there was a test published online. What the owners of that site did was to clamp small split shot weights to a leading edge of line from a couple different reels and record how much weight it took for the spool to begin rotating as line peeled out of the reel. The winner was, of course, the Scorpion. Unfortunately, I cannot recall the website or find that article, but I know some of my contemporaries recall the test of which I speak.

Why do I bring any of this up? It's not just an opportunity to walk down a nostalgic aisle of tackle. With the current influx of finesse tuned casting gear, I felt it was time to borrow from that fabled test to see how it might uncover some mysteries or at least help answer some questions I have about casting reels and shallow spools. Because believe me, I have questions.

Complete Article: https://www.tackletour.com/reviewshallo ... sight.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

NormanD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Peeling it Back - The BFS Shallow Spool Challenge

Post by NormanD » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:15 am

Interesting article. I know that had to be very tedious to collect all the data.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Peeling it Back - The BFS Shallow Spool Challenge

Post by Cal » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:05 am

NormanD wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:15 am
Interesting article. I know that had to be very tedious to collect all the data.
Thanks... the things I do for TT 🤦‍♂️... :lol: :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"