Megabass's Unheralded Spark Shad Swimbait

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:55 pm

Introduction: When it comes to a soft bodied swimbait in Megabass's product line, it's really mostly about MagDraft. Available in two varieties, MagDraft is a proven producer. The Sleeper line is probably a close second, but those are more like jigs. A third less talked about alternative, at least as a stand alone option, we feel deserves more attention. It is one that's thought of more as an option for umbrella rigs, but really is sneaky effective in a broader range of applications. Have I sparked your interest? Let's take a look.

Complete Article: http://tackletour.com/reviewmegabasssparkshad.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Megabass's Unheralded Spark Shad Swimbait

Post by CGrinder » Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:29 pm

Nice review. The 4" fits well on a 3/0 Flashy Swimmer. Killer bait.

John2204
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by John2204 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:37 am

He mentioned that no one makes a small hook for the 3 and 4โ€, try a BKK Swimbait hook, you can get them in the 1/0, 2/0 and 3/0 size, they are perfect for smaller paddletails

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:07 am

John2204 wrote: โ†‘
Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:37 am
He mentioned that no one makes a small hook for the 3 and 4โ€, try a BKK Swimbait hook, you can get them in the 1/0, 2/0 and 3/0 size, they are perfect for smaller paddletails
Thanks for the headsup on BKK... since finishing the review a few weeks ago, I actually did find a suitable hook from Zappu. Their Bredy Weedless Underspin is pretty nifty and fits the smallest Spark Shad pretty well. It comes with an even smaller hook, #2 or #3. The attached photos are screen shot from Instagram where I show the #2 rigged in the Spark Shad and the #2 rigged in an Optimum Opti Shad...

Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 6.01.35 AM copy.jpg
Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 6.01.35 AM copy.jpg (39.91 KiB) Viewed 4767 times
Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 6.01.06 AM copy.jpg
Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 6.01.06 AM copy.jpg (71.54 KiB) Viewed 4767 times
Cal, Managing Editor

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:13 am

Decoy makes a weighted hook (with a centering pin) in the smaller sizes. It is the Decoy Makisasu Weighted worm hook--the weights are lighter, in keeping with the finesse deal for the 3 inch Spark Shads.

Also, Owner does make its Twistlock CPS weighted hooks in sizes small enough for the 3" inch soft swimbaits and for the spark shads (or other "non fat" bodied style soft swimbaits). In my experience, there is plenty of gap in the hook to allow for a good hookset for a 3" swimbait.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:18 am

Tried the Owner twist lock, but the weight isn't quite in the right location for me. ;)

Doesn't look like the Decoy option is at TackleWarehouse... Googled it and I don't like the placement of the weight, but do like the smaller sizes. ๐Ÿ‘
Cal, Managing Editor

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:17 am

Gotcha on the Owner twistlock CPS hooks--the smaller owner flashy hooks work, but from the article, I was thinking that you were asking about regular weighted hooks with a centering pin and not the underspins that are out there.

For the Decoy Makisasu Weighted worm hook, you can adjust the placement of the weight on the hook shank w/a pair of pliers (the weight will slide on the hook shank some or you can crimp it slightly to stay where you want it on the hook (I have a screen shot of this from google images, but cannot seem to get it formatted to post it).

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:28 am

jmb27 wrote: โ†‘
Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:17 am
For the Decoy Makisasu Weighted worm hook, I am 99% this is the hook that I have where the weight can slide on the hook shank for placement where you want it (at work, can check when I get home if it matters).
Mustad makes one like that... covered that in the writeup of the Yamamoto Kickin Zako

The little flasher didn't matter as much as the weight placement. Flashy Swimmer's weight is also forward and the 1/0 size isn't all that light either. The Zappu option is actually ๐Ÿ‘Œ ... the lightest option allows the 3" Spark Shad to swim down at an angle rather than spiral down to the bottom on slack line or just sink like a rock when the weight is too much.
Cal, Managing Editor

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:04 am

Cal wrote: โ†‘
Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:28 am
jmb27 wrote: โ†‘
Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:17 am
For the Decoy Makisasu Weighted worm hook, I am 99% this is the hook that I have where the weight can slide on the hook shank for placement where you want it (at work, can check when I get home if it matters).
Mustad makes one like that... covered that in the writeup of the Yamamoto Kickin Zako

The little flasher didn't matter as much as the weight placement. Flashy Swimmer's weight is also forward and the 1/0 size isn't all that light either. The Zappu option is actually ๐Ÿ‘Œ ... the lightest option allows the 3" Spark Shad to swim down at an angle rather than spiral down to the bottom on slack line or just sink like a rock when the weight is too much.
Makes sense that the weight (or placement of it) could really alter the action of the smaller baits. I edited my post as I confirmed that the Decoy hook is similar to the Mustad one in you can adjust the weight placement.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:21 am

Cool... will add it to the list to eventually check out ;) thanks!
Cal, Managing Editor