A Stick That's Difficult to Pin Down : Megabass's US Destroyer P5 F7-75X BMG

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:58 am

Introduction: Coming off of our positive experience with Megabass of America's US Destroyer P5 F7.5-76X Mark-56, we felt it appropriate to take a step back and look at a stick with an appeal for more conventional techniques. Question was, with at least four different rods that fit that bill, which one to choose? Well, rather than go back over a specification I've already fished, I thought it was time to look at something relatively new. With that in mind, the P5 F7-75X BMG seemed quite intriguing with a length and specification along the lines of an all purpose, heavy powered stick. Let's take a look.

Complete Article: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewmegabas ... 5xbmg.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: A Stick That's Difficult to Pin Down : Megabass's US Destroyer P5 F7-75X BMG

Post by Phippy » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:29 pm

Cal, pretty much spot on. Personally I would score the sensitivity higher IMO that's compared to my NRX+ 893/873. The reel seat trigger though will be uncomfortable for some. I enjoy mine very much.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: A Stick That's Difficult to Pin Down : Megabass's US Destroyer P5 F7-75X BMG

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:07 am

Would you put this rod into some lighter flipping/pitching scenarios?

I have been on the constant search for a "punch" rod for way up north. I don't get thick mats, as most of my targets are lilypads mixed with milfoil.

I have the 7'10 Kister M.O.D with NFC blank (post MJD version). It feels good but, I don't have enough fish on it to tell if it's the one or not.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:39 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:07 am
Would you put this rod into some lighter flipping/pitching scenarios?

I have been on the constant search for a "punch" rod for way up north. I don't get thick mats, as most of my targets are lilypads mixed with milfoil.

I have the 7'10 Kister M.O.D with NFC blank (post MJD version). It feels good but, I don't have enough fish on it to tell if it's the one or not.
The tip is forgiving for a heavy rated rod, like Cal said pretty much MH tip followed by heavy backbone. I see no reason why it couldn't handle light pitch/flip duties. My time spent with it has been football jigs and wobble heads tomorrow is Magdraft 6. To be honest this might be my favorite P5 so far since MB introduced them several years ago, just hope durability has improved to many have snapped in my hands for someone who primarily fishes smallmouth in a ultra clear reservoir.