Lew's Enters Enthusiast Segment With New Elite Series

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:22 am

Introduction: Once a manufacturer with a somewhat modest catalog of product, Lew's suite of casting reels alone now amounts to over two dozen models. The majority of which can be considered quite accessible. That's part of the reason for the popularity of the brand - they offer anglers a host of reliable options without breaking the bank. For 2023, Lew's speeds things up and reaches out into the Enthusiast space.

Complete Article: http://www.tackletour.com/previewicast22lews.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Lew's Enters Enthusiast Segment With New Elite Series

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:31 pm

I feel bad to always call them out on this, but the P2 bearing supported pinion is off. It has single support. When engaged a bearing from the spool supports the pinion too. They are calling this dual support, but I am pretty sure most reels already do this. Shimano's X-Ship would actually have 3 bearings supporting the pinion when engaged, as would a Daiwa free floating spool. There are 4 total bearings on Shimano X-ship and Daiwa free floating, 2 on the pinion and 2 on the spool. The Lew's P2 design has 2 on the spool and 1 on the pinion.

I am not downing the reel or downing Lew's, I have a ton of their rods and never had an issue with my BB1 Pro, just seems false for them to call it dual support.

reznor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reznor » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:55 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:31 pm
I feel bad to always call them out on this, but the P2 bearing supported pinion is off. It has single support. When engaged a bearing from the spool supports the pinion too. They are calling this dual support, but I am pretty sure most reels already do this. Shimano's X-Ship would actually have 3 bearings supporting the pinion when engaged, as would a Daiwa free floating spool. There are 4 total bearings on Shimano X-ship and Daiwa free floating, 2 on the pinion and 2 on the spool. The Lew's P2 design has 2 on the spool and 1 on the pinion.

I am not downing the reel or downing Lew's, I have a ton of their rods and never had an issue with my BB1 Pro, just seems false for them to call it dual support.
I'm 99% sure it has double pinion support, 1ball bearing and 1bushing( you can put a bb), It's a doyo coba elite just black !

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:21 pm

reznor wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:55 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:31 pm

I'm 99% sure it has double pinion support, 1ball bearing and 1bushing( you can put a bb), It's a doyo coba elite just black !
A bushing and a bearing would still be better than true single support. I know my old BB1 Pro and Tatula R cannot have their handle turned with the spool removed, those reels had single support. I was just stating that Lew's advertising leads people to think or claim they have dual bearing support when in actuality it is not the same as true dual support like X-ship or a free floating spool.