Built for Finesse. Shimano's Curado MGL 70 K Baitcasters

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:35 am

Introduction: The newest addition to the Shimano Curado line is the smaller 70 MGL K, and the biggest upgrade is not only the more compact form factor but the addition of a lightweight MGL spool. Designed to help anglers make pinpoint casts with lighter baits, this new reel looks to carry on the Curado Series tradition of being a benchmark baitcaster. Let's see how it stacks up to today's tough competition, and history.

Complete Article: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimano ... gl70k.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Built for Finesse. Shimano's Curado MGL 70 K Baitcasters

Post by Bronzeye » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:04 pm

I don't get it--if "the ideal applications for the new smaller Curado 70 are when fishing 10-14lb fluoro/mono, 20-30lb PowerPro, and baits from 3/16-1/2oz" and the spool weight is 12.7 g (.1 g. heavier than the Curado 100D spool), why is this being touted as a BFS reel?

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zander » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:15 pm

Bronzeye wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:04 pm
I don't get it--if "the ideal applications for the new smaller Curado 70 are when fishing 10-14lb fluoro/mono, 20-30lb PowerPro, and baits from 3/16-1/2oz" and the spool weight is 12.7 g (.1 g. heavier than the Curado 100D spool), why is this being touted as a BFS reel?
Its all about MGL. Currently this is the only Curado to offer the feature the smaller form factor of the reel makes it easier to palm and the MGL. SVS combo makes it easier to cast the lighter stuff. While this reel can handle baits under 3/16 the more expensive Aldebaran is a lot more refined and a true enthusiast baitfinesse reel that will handle the really light stuff, ultralight lines better (the 6-8lb. line many anglers would normally just use a spinning reel for).

Eventually we probably will see MGL in other Curados but for now it looks like it is reserved just for this smaller reel. The new 300 reel for example doesn't have MGL... and though it can be argued that MGL is not needed for larger/heavier baits it still would be a nice feature to have as it improves handling across the bait range.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:55 pm

I've been throwing light t-rigs on my Curado 70s, usually in Spring: 1/8oz bullet weight + stick bait etc., always for a combined weight of under 0.4oz. Also tried tiny underspins on it around 1/4oz or so. I don't really consider weights around 0.4oz BFS yet, but the point stands that even the old Curado 70 was a great baitcaster for lighter baits, mostly because the spool has little inertia and starts up so easily. So I guess I don't have an issue at all with how the article comes across; in the $200 range, the Curado 70 is probably the best BFS option.

When I got the 70 MGL I switched the combo over from the old to the new reel, and everything felt more or less the same. Combo is a bit heavier, casts might be going a foot or two further, but it's a very seamless transition.

kevkim
Angler
Angler

Post by kevkim » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:16 pm

Just curious, does anyone know where the weight gain is from the older curado 70? Is it from the longer handle plus bigger knobs or perhaps a heavier gearset?

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:39 am

Handle, knobs and some more bearings added. I don’t think going from normal to micro gear would add weight.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:58 pm

dennis_rf wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:39 am
Handle, knobs and some more bearings added. I don’t think going from normal to micro gear would add weight.
Where did they add the bearings? Does the handle have bearings now?