Samurai in Training? Daiwa's J-Braid Grand is Ready for Battle

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:48 pm

Introduction: At some point in the last five plus years, Daiwa, a company many of us rely upon for quality rods, reels, and sometimes lures also became a line manufacturer. You're probably already familiar with or at least know about Samurai Braid - a product I thought was discontinued upon the introduction of the subject of today's review, J-Braid. I was obviously mistaken although Daiwa did stop making the hi-vis Samurai, so that's probably where I got confused. Anyway, while I was preparing for a more detailed look at J-Braid, I discovered there are several varieties, X8, X4, and the actual subject of today's review, X8 Grand.

Complete Article: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwajbraidgrand.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

q1w2e3_89
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Samurai in Training? Daiwa's J-Braid Grand is Ready for Battle

Post by q1w2e3_89 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:15 am

FYI the colored J-braids will fade rapidly. The moss green colored one stained the silver frame of my FX68 reel green and I've not been able to wear it off after 3+ years. I also use the metered version and it lost half its color after a day of fishing. It's a decent line if you can live with that. I now only use it on the Conquest or other metallic reels that won't get stained.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:51 am

q1w2e3_89 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:15 am
FYI the colored J-braids will fade rapidly. The moss green colored one stained the silver frame of my FX68 reel green and I've not been able to wear it off after 3+ years. I also use the metered version and it lost half its color after a day of fishing. It's a decent line if you can live with that. I now only use it on the Conquest or other metallic reels that won't get stained.
Hmmm... I only used the grey color, not the green... interesting :-k
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:02 am

Good review!

The "features" ratings chart in the article says it is only available in two colors, but Daiwa's site says it comes in gray, green, and blue. The blue color is probably aimed mostly at saltwater fishermen, but might be the choice of freshwater anglers who rig a topwater reel with braid.

I just watched these youtube vids comparing the abrasion resistance of J-Braid Grand to other Daiwa braids
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymawe_LPk0U

and to other brands (FINS and Sufix 832 were the winners by far)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WjqYuKvrHQ.