The Yeti Panga 28 Backpack - A Waterproof Fortress for all Your Outdoor Gear

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:18 am

Introduction: No longer just a company that makes bear-proof hard coolers, Yeti has now expanded into a wide range of soft coolers and bags that are designed to protect your gear from just about everything mother nature can dish out. The Yeti Panga backpack takes everything that the company learned while building the Panga Duffel Series and puts it all into a convenient, still fully waterproof, and more ergonomic backpack design.

Complete Article: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewyetipangabackpack.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

justgopen
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: The Yeti Panga 28 Backpack - A Waterproof Fortress for all Your Outdoor Gear

Post by justgopen » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:29 pm

Looking for a waterproof pack and wondering how the zipper is on the Yeti. I had purchased and returned the Patagonia pack before the Yeti even came out because the zipper on that pack was a nightmare to open and close. It was incredibly tight and I had to pull really hard to open the pack all the way. Not sure if this is the case with the Yeti?

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Yeti Panga 28 Backpack - A Waterproof Fortress for all Your Outdoor Gear

Post by Zander » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:30 pm

justgopen wrote:Looking for a waterproof pack and wondering how the zipper is on the Yeti. I had purchased and returned the Patagonia pack before the Yeti even came out because the zipper on that pack was a nightmare to open and close. It was incredibly tight and I had to pull really hard to open the pack all the way. Not sure if this is the case with the Yeti?
The zipper tension on both packs is pretty comparable. Part of the reason that the zippers are so tight is to maintain the airtight seal. Yeti bundles some solid (looks like a chapstick) zipper lubricant that is designed to protect and help grease the HydroLok zipper. It does help but you still need to pull relatively hard to open and close the pack. The good news is that both packs come with large T-shaped zipper pulls and have nylon loops to help provide extra leverage to open or close the main compartments. I found over time I got used to the force required to open and seal the pack.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:30 am

Yeti used to include a small tube of some silicone type grease, and that stuff made it really easy to open, very slick. Then they changed to the chapstick stuff and it does lube it some, but no where as slick as the other stuff. I’m sure Yeti had a reason to change, but the old tube could definitely help if you are having issues with a tight zipper.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:57 pm

Good waterproof zippers are like that, you have to lube them for them to open with any ease.

When I first bought a drysuit for kayaking I didn't know this and was "trapped" in my new suit for maybe 30min until I laid on the floor and managed to get enough leverage on the zipper to escape. I then looked in the box and found the included lube and instructions.

mrmilom1990
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by mrmilom1990 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:46 pm

Houndfish wrote:Good waterproof zippers are like that, you have to lube them for them to open with any ease.

When I first bought a drysuit for kayaking I didn't know this and was "trapped" in my new suit for maybe 30min until I laid on the floor and managed to get enough leverage on the zipper to escape. I then looked in the box and found the included lube and instructions.
Wow! That's an amazing features I'm looking for! Most of bag's zippers are really hard to open specially when you haven't use it for a long time.

justgopen
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by justgopen » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:10 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys, going to give the Yeti Panga and that Zipper silicon another shot. =D>