Megabass Valkyrie Rods Take Flight with New Shielz Hybrid Construction

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:05 pm

Introduction: Almost as if it was a stealth launch the Megabass Valkyrie rods are now available to domestic anglers, but just what are these rods, and how are they positioned? We spend a day on the water with Megabass Prostaffer and Big Bass hunter Oliver Ngy to fish and learn more about this new lineup of "adjustable" rods.

Complete Article: http://tackletour.com/reviewmegabassvalkyrie.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Megabass Valkyrie Rods Take Flight with New Shielz Hybrid Construction

Post by Aquaftm45 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:48 pm

Do you have any insight as to why the rod weights are all over the place? (According to MB website)
7'2 Heavy- 216 Grams
7'1 Heavy- 183 Grams
6'11 MH- 197 Grams
7'1 MH- 174 Grams

I don't get it??

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:10 pm

Thanks for the preview, the rods look interesting as enthusiast moving bait sticks.

Also, "he caught the 6.82oz. bass at the Lake of the Ozarks Big Bass Bash last month"

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zander » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:48 pm

LowRange wrote:Thanks for the preview, the rods look interesting as enthusiast moving bait sticks.

Also, "he caught the 6.82oz. bass at the Lake of the Ozarks Big Bass Bash last month"
Lol, thanks Lowrange, that would be a very small bass on that bait. Probably had bait weights in my mind when I wrote that. Adjusted to pounds. :D

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zander » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:03 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:Do you have any insight as to why the rod weights are all over the place? (According to MB website)
7'2 Heavy- 216 Grams
7'1 Heavy- 183 Grams
6'11 MH- 197 Grams
7'1 MH- 174 Grams

I don't get it??
I only was able to fish the rods for a few hours but I did notice the weight variance across models. I have some idea of why the weights vary so much but this is just my initial thoughts based on what I know and my limited time with the series. Typically glass rods are heavy, much more so than pure graphite based ones. The Shielz construction is a hybrid of the materials to deliver the intended action and power profile. I think that it is the infusion of glass that has a greater effect on the overall weight in these rods, but I can say that what I did experience in most of the rods was glass like attributes where it mattered, but at lower overall weights than comparable 100% glass rods. As I learn more, or if we start an actual test on one of the rods I'll let you know what I learn.