Breaking Free of Middle Child Syndrome, Abu Garcia's Revo4 STX

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:41 am

Introduction: Within Abu Garcia's Fourth Generation refresh of their popular REVO lineup of casting and spinning reels, we've seen kind of subtle, under the hood refinements in drag washer design and composition, gear material, hood/front plate design, and the obvious color schemes. I've fished all the reels from the X through the Premier, but the one reel I was most excited to sample, once I discovered its improvement, is the subject of today's review. Introducing Abu Garcia's 4th Generation Revo STX.

Complete Article: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewaburevo4STX.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

grantman83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Breaking Free of Middle Child Syndrome, Abu Garcia's Revo4 STX

Post by grantman83 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:34 am

Great review but I noticed one mistake. You state handle length is the same as the previous generation but the generation 3 stx had an 80mm handle and the generation 4 has 90mm handle
Yield not to misfortunes but advance against them

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:49 pm

great review, but when you click on the link to tacklewarehouse at the bottom of the page to buy the reel, there are 4 reviews on it and they are all negative.

What are they missing?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:24 pm

Hulkster wrote:great review, but when you click on the link to tacklewarehouse at the bottom of the page to buy the reel, there are 4 reviews on it and they are all negative.

What are they missing?
Before you consider any so called review, you need to consider the source. I can't speak to individuals who post their views on product on other sites, but I do believe our reputation speaks for itself. Whether you choose to consider our viewpoint or not is up to you.
Cal, Managing Editor

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:24 pm

I'm not questioning Tackletour's review at all, you guys are the experts.

but I am wondering what might be a non issue in an experts hands might be an issue for the layman or casual angler because
the negative reviews all seem to focus on the ease of 'dialing in' the reel for casting to prevent backlashes.

Was the reel difficult to adjust?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:46 pm

Hulkster wrote: because
the negative reviews all seem to focus on the ease of 'dialing in' the reel for casting to prevent backlashes.

That's a point I can respond to... the IVCB-6 brakes can take a bit of getting used to but are much more free than any of Abu's other braking systems. I think I talked about how touchy they can be in wind. If you're not used to moderating the spool with your thumb, then you're going to have issues with these brakes.
Cal, Managing Editor

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:04 pm

What is the main gear material?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:23 pm

Cal wrote:
Hulkster wrote: because

That's a point I can respond to... the IVCB-6 brakes can take a bit of getting used to but are much more free than any of Abu's other braking systems. I think I talked about how touchy they can be in wind. If you're not used to moderating the spool with your thumb, then you're going to have issues with these brakes.
I want pick your brain on the last sentence because I intend to convert a Revo I have from Doyo dual brake to the IVCB. Did you find the IVCB to be more difficult to dial in than other centrifugal brakes or is the thumbing of the spool and wind more of a general statement about centrifugal brakes? I've had plenty of centrifugal reels and I understand that it is normal to ride your thumb over the spool to slow it at the end of the cast and to react to bait deacellerarion due to wind ect.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:43 pm

LowRange wrote:Did you find the IVCB to be more difficult to dial in than other centrifugal brakes or is the thumbing of the spool and wind more of a general statement about centrifugal brakes? I've had plenty of centrifugal reels and I understand that it is normal to ride your thumb over the spool to slow it at the end of the cast and to react to bait deacellerarion due to wind ect.
Abu's IVCB is just a tad bit touchier than other centrifugal systems, but if you're accustomed to that type of brake, it won't take you very long to get used to monitoring the IVCBs with your thumb. It's a very free system allowing for good distance with minimal effort.
Cal, Managing Editor

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:13 pm

Cal wrote:
LowRange wrote:Did you find the IVCB to be more difficult to dial in than other centrifugal brakes or is the thumbing of the spool and wind more of a general statement about centrifugal brakes? I've had plenty of centrifugal reels and I understand that it is normal to ride your thumb over the spool to slow it at the end of the cast and to react to bait deacellerarion due to wind ect.
Abu's IVCB is just a tad bit touchier than other centrifugal systems, but if you're accustomed to that type of brake, it won't take you very long to get used to monitoring the IVCBs with your thumb. It's a very free system allowing for good distance with minimal effort.
Ah, good to know.