SOLID! - The Shimano Bantam MGL Baitcaster

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:40 am

Introduction: It has been over four decades since Shimano released their first baitcast reel, the Bantam, and since then a lot has changed not only within the industry. It has become increasingly difficult to differentiate, and in many respects while baitcasters continue to push the refinement envelope the basic formula for these low profile reels remains vastly unchanged. The new Bantam is something new, something quite unlike anything else in the Shimano lineup, and bridges the gap between low profile baitcasters and aluminum round reels.

Complete Article: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanobantam150xg.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: SOLID! - The Shimano Bantam MGL Baitcaster

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:50 am

Good write-up. Confirms what other posters and reviewers have been saying. I don't understand why they didn't put a bit more thought into the line guide. It appears to me that there is plenty of room where they could have designed the guide ring to be a good centimeter or 2 farther forward without changing anything else about the reel. That is really disappointing and will probably keep me from picking one up. Hopefully someone comes up with a mod to replace the guide with one that sits farther forward.

As for the weight, it is all relative. An OG Zillion weighs a full oz. more but never really felt heavy to me unless you are switching back and forth with a Steez.

It kind of reminds me of the OG TDX reels. http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwatdx.html

I would love it if Daiwa would make a new sleeker version of that reel with some sort of clever spring-loaded self-centering line guide to compete with the Bantam.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:08 am

I love the bantam. To date it’s the smoothest reel I’ve owned. The size feels great. If they’d make a 6oz magnesium version (or a mag curado 71) it would likely be the only model of reel I’d need.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:50 pm

is the drag star on this metal?