G.Loomis's 820S DSR GLX : A Top Notch Performer, but...

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:39 am

Introduction: In March of 2017, we shared with you G.Loomis's reborn classic, the MBR842C GLX. Inspired by the recaptured performance and versatility of an old favorite, I felt it time again to explore something else within the manufacturer's former top end lineup. Looking back in our archives I found a 2005 review where Zander tested and wrote about the 820S DSR GLX. It received very high marks but had a fit and finish that G.Loomis no longer offers. The new version of this stick has a much more traditional GLX look, so I felt it was the perfect time to see for myself how well it performs.

Complete Article: http://tackletour.com/reviewgloomis17dsr820sglx.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: G.Loomis's 820S DSR GLX : A Top Notch Performer, but...

Post by Tim Kelly » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:27 am

Loomis and St Croix both have a talent for producing horrible spinning rod handles. Luckily, you can buy St Croix blanks.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:44 pm

Man, that grip/reel seat does look huge when you see it in hand. I have two MagL/XF IMX rods and am really learning to like the taper. I have one in 5'2" and one at 6'. I would love a longer one but am not a fan of any of the Loomis spinning rod seats I have held. I would buy a custom on that blank in a heartbeat if I could.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:24 am

I was looking forward to a great review on this rod. Well I got a great review of a not so great rod. Not excited about the handle, but the noise in the blank worries me. Hoping this relates to this rod is not normal. Hopefully some other owners can comment on this for their rods.

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:38 am

Comparing the GLX 820 DSR to the NRX 822 DSR, bites on the NRX seem to be more of an electric versus a dull sensation on the GLX is the best way that I can describe it. Both sensitive but in a different way in transmitting bites. I’m interested to hear if you found this also and what your all time favorite rod for Drop Shop would be ?