Shimano Curado 150 DC – Bringing Digital Cast Control to the Masses

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:39 am

Introduction: Shimano’s Digitally Controlled (DC) braking system is not new, it is a proven technology that has been reserved for the company’s highest end, mostly JDM, reel offerings. That is until next week when Shimano will officially launch the Curado 150 DC, the first mainstream baitcaster in the U.S. to make use of this externally adjustable microprocessor controlled technology. We hit the water with four of these reels with Dan Thorburn from Shimano to see, hear, and feel firsthand what the newest DC reels have to offer.

Complete Article: http://www.tackletour.com/previewshiman ... 150dc.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Shimano Curado 150 DC – Bringing Digital Cast Control to the Masses

Post by wirinhar » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:33 am

Wondering what model NRX did you test it with?

Thanks Cal.

Regards,
WW

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:41 am

wirinhar wrote:Wondering what model NRX did you test it with?

Thanks Cal.

Regards,
WW
I was fishing an 893 JWR ... I think Zander had it on an 852 JWR ... I don't remember the other rods we were using.. there was an E6X and also a Zodias I believe, but Dan brought other reels too, so not quite sure the mix on the combos. Zander was using the other reels (because they were right handed). I fished the Curado DC exclusively all day.
Cal, Managing Editor

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zander » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:52 pm

The Zodias rods that I fished with the Curado 150 DC reels were the Zodias 610ML for the light stuff and Zodias 7'2 MH G Crank rods. The Loomis rods I used were the NRX 852 JWR and the IMX Pro 853 JWR. Switched between the rods trying fluorocarbon and braid, wanted to see how the new Super8Slick V2 PowerPro felt on the reels in the various modes.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:07 pm

I'm a little confused. In the article (I'm not sure who wrote it) the author states he was casting small, weightless plastics. In the merged Curado DC thread, in response to a question I posed regarding casting ranges, Dan responded, stating this was not a good reel for quarter ounce and under. I believe my question was which would be better for a quarter ounce - Curado or Scorpion. Can you tell me which plastics you were fishing weightless on the 4 setting?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:23 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:... In the article (I'm not sure who wrote it) ...
It is clearly noted in each of our articles who is the author/editor/reviewer ;)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 4.17.14 PM copy.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 4.17.14 PM copy.jpg (271.1 KiB) Viewed 5642 times
Cal, Managing Editor

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zander » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:57 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:I'm a little confused. In the article (I'm not sure who wrote it) the author states he was casting small, weightless plastics. In the merged Curado DC thread, in response to a question I posed regarding casting ranges, Dan responded, stating this was not a good reel for quarter ounce and under. I believe my question was which would be better for a quarter ounce - Curado or Scorpion. Can you tell me which plastics you were fishing weightless on the 4 setting?
Hi Hogsticker, I wrote this one up. Thanks for the question. Only had a 12 hour window with the reels on the water so was getting through whatever baits I had available on the boat. This is a preview so when I get more time with the reels I'll be putting together a full blown review. I definitely fished baits 1/2oz. and above more because I wanted to experience the casting modes on various rods and with different lines. I fished a 1/4oz. warbait jighead just for weight across the ranges and also with a Jackall Rhythm Wave, and also tried fishing a few plastics weightless including Senko, Fantik Larva and Dagger baits that I had on the boat. Small sample size but I would agree with Dan that the Curado DC is not the ideal reel for the ultralight stuff, it seems to handle the mid-range to heavy stuff really well, but that being said it could certainly cast 1/4oz. baits just fine, and mode 4 while not very long distance does enable you to make short accurate casts without backlashes. If your skipping a lightweight bait this mode does work, and while I am definitely not the best bait skipper I was able to do it without blowing out the reel.

I don't personally have a lot of experience fishing the Scorpion so couldn't say which would be better at that weight range. When we get some Curado DC's in for more than one day on the water it is definitely something I will look into and compare notes with Cal on.

Thanks, Z

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:53 pm

Zander wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:I'm a little confused. In the article (I'm not sure who wrote it) the author states he was casting small, weightless plastics. In the merged Curado DC thread, in response to a question I posed regarding casting ranges, Dan responded, stating this was not a good reel for quarter ounce and under. I believe my question was which would be better for a quarter ounce - Curado or Scorpion. Can you tell me which plastics you were fishing weightless on the 4 setting?
Hi Hogsticker, I wrote this one up. Thanks for the question. Only had a 12 hour window with the reels on the water so was getting through whatever baits I had available on the boat. This is a preview so when I get more time with the reels I'll be putting together a full blown review. I definitely fished baits 1/2oz. and above more because I wanted to experience the casting modes on various rods and with different lines. I fished a 1/4oz. warbait jighead just for weight across the ranges and also with a Jackall Rhythm Wave, and also tried fishing a few plastics weightless including Senko, Fantik Larva and Dagger baits that I had on the boat. Small sample size but I would agree with Dan that the Curado DC is not the ideal reel for the ultralight stuff, it seems to handle the mid-range to heavy stuff really well, but that being said it could certainly cast 1/4oz. baits just fine, and mode 4 while not very long distance does enable you to make short accurate casts without backlashes. If your skipping a lightweight bait this mode does work, and while I am definitely not the best bait skipper I was able to do it without blowing out the reel.

I don't personally have a lot of experience fishing the Scorpion so couldn't say which would be better at that weight range. When we get some Curado DC's in for more than one day on the water it is definitely something I will look into and compare notes with Cal on.

Thanks, Z
Right on, I appreciate the response. Those are certainly some weighty plastics. I think the name of the game is to buy and try....as with most purchases haha. I'm sure I can find a use for it :big grin:

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:54 pm

Thanks for all the responses and appreciate alot.

Regards,
WW