Living up to the Hype? The Zero Ball Bearing Concept Z from 13 Fishing

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:08 pm

Introduction: Probably the most talked about low profile baitcaster to be introduced in the last year, the 13 Fishing Concept Z has been the subject of much debate since this zero ball bearing reel was launched this past ICAST. Utilizing what is billed as a “space-age” polymer in place of traditional bearings this reel is designed to offer anglers improved cast and retrieve while also improving longevity and durability in harsh saltwater environments. Sounds too good to be true? It’s time to see just how much of the hype is warranted.

Complete Article: http://www.tackletour.com/review13fishi ... zreel.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Living up to the Hype? The Zero Ball Bearing Concept Z from 13 Fishing

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:25 pm

Appreciated the detailed review. Not sure if I am going to run out and get one, but if the price is right during some sales, I might have to try it out.

The color is a shout out to the OG Team Daiwa Sol-Train! A true classic.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:53 pm

Cal wrote:Utilizing what is billed as a “space-age” polymer in place of traditional bearings this reel is designed to offer anglers improved cast and retrieve while also improving longevity and durability in harsh saltwater environments. Sounds too good to be true? It’s time to see just how much of the hype is warranted.
Sounds like a similar tune from Daiwa's marketing songbook - be interesting to see longevity reviews in time.

And good to see you using a great Aussie product 'Inox' in the review.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:32 am

I look forward to someone using the bushing material for trailer bearings, sounds like it would make perfect maintenance free bearings!

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zander » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:58 am

zodiak311 wrote:Appreciated the detailed review. Not sure if I am going to run out and get one, but if the price is right during some sales, I might have to try it out.

The color is a shout out to the OG Team Daiwa Sol-Train! A true classic.
Thanks Zodiak, it definitely offers anglers a different experience and has been fun to fish. I think right now they will still be hard to get, most etailers/retailers are selling out once they arrive in stock.

I wanted to punch this review out because there has been so much discussion and will report how the reel has held up in about six months.

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zander » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:59 am

Slazmo wrote:And good to see you using a great Aussie product 'Inox' in the review.
Thanks Slazmo, and I love INOX, some of the best oil available on the market!

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:35 am

The tolerance of the ID looks off. Is that what is causing the rattling during the cast?

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zander » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:11 pm

Tony9 wrote:The tolerance of the ID looks off. Is that what is causing the rattling during the cast?

Hi Tony, I thought it was possible but while I observed some change in the edge of the I.D. it doesn't go through the entire bushing. I also swapped this No 2 bushing out and experienced the same sound. The oil on the ID did the trick and I wasn't experiencing "rattling" but rather a whirring/rasping sound, and while the sound did bother me it didn't affect the casting distance.

I took some more magnified pics of each bushing and reinstalled them and will be seeing how well they hold up over the next six months, especially if there is any significant change in the surfaces and ID tolerance/range.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:15 pm

Can you take a angled microscopic pic of the inner surface and the shaft surface where the bush applies to after use.

One of those digital microscopes that takes pictures is invaluable in instances like this.

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zander » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:26 pm

Yes, in the longer term durability update I can do that, we have a digital magnifying camera in the lab.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:29 am

I thought it was a very good review and summary, warts and all.

If nothing else, what this "zero ball bearing" reel might do is provide help for "salty" angling where maintenance becomes an even bigger issue. If these new reels can be simply sprayed off with water and not much else, that will be a selling point.

I think the reel is priced just about right; this isn't a $400 reel masquerading as a sub-$200 reel, some sort of super bargain. At its price point, prospective buyers will still have very impressive options from Shimano and others.

I look forward to the follow up review!

Brad

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:21 pm

Tony9 wrote:The tolerance of the ID looks off. Is that what is causing the rattling during the cast?

The tolerances of the spool bushings are not exact.

There is a bit of wiggle room. Clearly visible to the naked eye. And you can feel it.
Same can be said about every single czb in the entire reel in relation to the parts they support. And the wiggle room can be seen clearly.

Compared to bushings in an old penn jigmaster or a Bantam from 1979. Side by side torn apart The gaps are wider in the z.

I disagree in terms of the casting distances being greater than some of the others mentioned in the review But it casts close enough. Although for long range reservoir work for deep winter trout. I get better distances out of other reels which use bearings. Even in the cold

Also the deformation looks like it came from trying to remove it from the side plate. It's fits very precisely. I found the best way to remove it without damage or deformation was to use a clipped plastic paint brush handle which is tapered...And press it in the bushing and pull it out.

Otarumari
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Otarumari » Wed May 02, 2018 9:27 pm

I think it is the best idea for now
http://icme2006.org